Dead clutch - worth repairing it?

saffronmartian, Oct 18, 4:12am
My car's clutch has a terminal diagnosis.The car barely makes it past first gear speed and changing gears doesn't always happen.

It would cost at least $800 to fix.I'm thinking it is not worth spending that amount on repairs.Anyone else got opinions!

I paid $1200 for it at a Repo yard in June (would have cost me $4000 elsewhere) and expected to get more than 4 months out of it.And yes, I did more than kick its tyres before I bought it!

I will try and sell it 'as is, where is' for $how much!
My only other option is to scrap it.Max scrap value: $500.

msparts, Oct 18, 4:16am
hard to offer advise without knowing what sort of car

jmma, Oct 18, 4:18am
And for $800, what will you replace it with. Maybe worth spending the money and getting some more life out of it.
What make, model!

tim41, Oct 18, 4:18am
yes repair it astin martins usually cost a lot more than $1200

saffronmartian, Oct 18, 4:42am
Year 2000 Kia Mentor.

saffronmartian, Oct 18, 5:00am
Mechanic just phoned with more bad news.The alternator is on its last legs too.$400+ to fix that.I'm not liking the sound of $1200+ to repair that car.

jonthefisho, Oct 18, 6:01am
A scrap dealer may give you about 3hundy for it.
You could advertise it on here as a demo
derby car and hope for a better price.

sparkles_bc, Oct 18, 6:30am
You could fetch around $1000 +/- a couple of hundred, depending on its condition and milage even with the stuffed clutch.
Consider this: would you make more$$$ if you sold as is or fixed then sold!

mechnificent, Oct 18, 6:32am
You paid 1200, and it now needs another 1200, and the car is worth 4000!
If that's all the repairs it needs, and if it really is worth 4000, then it's worth doing.

intrade, Oct 18, 6:33am
how can the altornator be on its last legs! it either works or it dont. am i missing something is a bearing faulty or something! what is the milage on it! 177000km by chance!

ceebee2, Oct 19, 1:43am
A new set of brushes will likely fix the alternator.

ceebee2, Oct 19, 1:44am
What defines "on its last legs!" pray tell me.it either works or does not OR is noisy, either way is cheap to fix and certainly not $400.00

the-lada-dude, Oct 19, 4:31am
F., i'm on" my last legs " but even i won't cost$ 400 to fix