Tiptronic auto's , & forgetting it's in "manual"

Page 2 / 2
unbeatabull, Oct 18, 9:24am
I've done quite a few times. Usually when fault finding or giving a car a good run on a road test or something and forgetting its in first/tiptronic. Just laziness really.

ceebee2, Oct 19, 1:13am
+1 Same,same

sifty, Oct 19, 2:07am
only girls need reminding of this sort of thing surely.

dollydot, Oct 22, 8:50pm
We had no idea autos had manual choices also until test driving the Mazda 3this weekend.Fortunately we noticed that the "M" light on the speedo was why it wasn't changing gear! "M" is very close to "D" All sorted now and pick up the Mazda 3 today.

chebry, Oct 22, 8:58pm
Buy a real manual and learn how to drive.

dollydot, Oct 22, 10:38pm
Most of us WILL have driven a manual for many years no problem and now are driving automatics. What is being discussed is the combination auto/tiptronic with manual options etc.

dollydot, Oct 22, 10:39pm
Yes, the Mazda 3's do.

hawat, Oct 23, 12:32am
learnt to drive on a 1948 bedford pickup. No synchromesh and had to double declutch when changing down. Modern manuals are a picnic. But tiptronics are a joy.

chebry, Oct 23, 1:35am
Yes I drive 18 speed roadrangers no syncromesh on those either tiptronics are a gimmick to make believe you are really driving instead of steering. Go for the real thing not the fake

mantagsi, Oct 23, 4:19am
I thought the whole point of an automatic transmission was to do it for you. I've heard all the arguments and whatnot but I still can't see the point of tiptronic, especially in small engined passenger vehicles. All the high-ups at work have tiptronic Mazdas, and I have asked them all at some time or another - not one of them has used the tiptronic feature, and the majority of them don't actually know what it does :P If you buy an auto, just let it do its thing!

stevo2, Oct 23, 6:09am
Nice choice. Im sure you will get years of trouble free motoring

steve56467, Oct 23, 7:47am
!AGREE!
Some people love that fact their car was designed for a muppet! So patronizing! Next there will be a flashing light reminding you to BREATHE. then again some people might need it, after getting stuck in 1st lol

dollydot, Oct 23, 9:59am
Thanks steve, we think it's going to be great, certainly nice to drive.

sinet, Oct 23, 7:10pm
I drive in the city in auto but use the manual on the open road, that is where it is at it's best and take a quick glance at the dash now and then being careful when i do.

hawat, Oct 23, 8:52pm
Prefer manual for open road but happy for automatic with stop start and crawl on the motorway. Tiptronic is great compromise. Going north over the Brynderwyns or eitherway through the Waioeka Gorge tiptronic allows you to select a lower gear and "loiter" waiting for a chance then flooring it to get past then changing up as tacho climbs. Problem I found is getting past slower traffic and up to 4th then forgetting it is in manual and continuing the rest of the journey in 4th

vtecintegra, Oct 24, 5:11am
You can do the same thing on a conventional auto just by nudging the lever back into 3 or 2 (or turning O/D off or however it works in your specific car)

hawat, Oct 24, 7:33am
No you can't. Tried that on various vehicles over 15 years. (Falcon and Commodore 6, Commodore 8) There is nowhere near the same control as with tiptronic