Strong smell of rotten eggs in car

andrew499, Oct 17, 12:52am
Hi all.
A friend has a '98 Hyundai accent.Whenever she runs the heater, there's a strong smell of rotten eggs throughout the car.Can anyone suggest what might be causing this!It's a basic model with no air conditioning if that's of any help.
cheers

timmo1, Oct 17, 12:53am
.has the car ever been 'egged'!

andrea_w, Oct 17, 12:54am
It could literally be rotten eggs causing the problem!
Got any enemies that would put something nasty down the scuttle panel!

lolzor123, Oct 17, 12:54am
Potentially cat converter is stuffed! Does the smell come from the exhaust!

splinter67, Oct 17, 12:55am
dont turn the heater on its almost summer and sell it before winter

intrade, Oct 17, 12:57am
yes check smell of exhaust and post that info

smac, Oct 17, 1:00am
Rotten eggs (sulpher) usually means a cooking or overworked cat converter.

The reason it happens when the heater is on is simply because otherwise you don't smell what is going on outside/under the car. If they park outside they may not smell it when they get out.

andrew499, Oct 17, 1:01am
Thanks for all answers so far.I'll check with her regarding smell coming from exhaust.However, whenever she leaves my home I don't smell anything at all.Thanks too or all the other answers, I'll pass them along.Lol!I guess she'd better chec out her enemies for rotten eggs.lol!

smac, Oct 17, 1:03am
Because it's not hot. How does it smell when she arrives!

andrew499, Oct 17, 1:06am
I don't notice any smell when she arrives either.However, sounds like it's definitely worth getting checked out.Anyone have a clue as to how much a new catalitic converter would cost to have fitted!
Cheers

intrade, Oct 17, 1:07am
you have to find out first and we take it from there. there is few reasons for a cat to go faulty

fiatracer, Oct 17, 1:11am
yes, the cat makes that smell, BUT it's also highly likely to be a bacterial or fungal infection in the HVAC system. You can get a deoderiser, but the best is a proper treatment that kills whatever is in there.

andrew499, Oct 17, 1:34am
I've just spoken to the owner of the car.She doesn't notice any rotten egg smell from the exhaust.She says she also doesn't have any enemies with rotten eggs.Lol!

desertcolt07, Oct 17, 1:35am
check ya diet

tmenz, Oct 17, 1:55am
Assuming it's petrol and not diesel - it could be that the charging system is overcharging the battery or the battery is faulty, or lacking in water - either way, the battery may be overheating and Hydrogen Sulphide gas(H2S) may be being produced from the Sulphuric Acid (H2SO4) in the electrolyte.
Check the battery for any signs of distress and check the electrolyte levels in it.

bitsy_boffin, Oct 17, 3:03am
Definitely check the battery.

Had it happen on a bike once, regulator failed and was overcharging, all the way from Nelson to just outside Christchurch where the battery finally cooked and the current surge caused the ignition system to fail, on the northern motorway, at night, before the times of cell phones.

I had put more consideration into the sulphur I smelt when I stopped for petrol in Culverden, I could have saved myself a lot of bother.

andrew499, Oct 17, 3:29am
Thanks for the messages about the battery.They've been noted and will be passed on.

nzdoug, Oct 17, 3:44am
A friend took his car for service as it had a burning smell.
Diagnosis was grabage bag flicked up on exhaust manifold.
Take a look.

vtecintegra, Oct 17, 6:05am
I'd check the car actually has a cat first - in 1998 NZ new cars didn't necessarily get them (at least our NZ assembled Civic and Primera didn't)

40wav, Oct 17, 7:09am
Had a Bobcat that the regulator failed on and over charged the battery. Exact same smell as rotten eggs. Get the running charging voltage checked.

supernova2, Oct 17, 10:22am
Maybe she lives in Rotorua! or Wairakei!

inkapuka, Oct 17, 7:07pm
Or hamner springs lol who farted in the car nlame the cat/dog lol

andrew499, Oct 29, 3:30am
Thanks for allyour help on this one.Seems the regulator is at fault and is over-charging the battery as some have suggested.I believe it will be fixed ASAP.i hope so anyway, or they'll kill battery after battery.Lol!