Volvo V50 2.4 L S/W

cb12, Oct 11, 6:14am
I'm looking at buying a bigger car as the kids (and dog) are getting older and I would quite like a stationwagon. Does anyone have an opinion about these cars, their reliability and servicing! I have read about getting Volvo parts from NZ that they can be expensive, so that aside, is this type of car an ok one to buy! Is there anything I shoud be aware of whilst I am looking for one! Thanks.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 10:25pm
They are a fairly good car. Quite correct regarding the parts, its not that the parts are expensive internationally its just we don't really have the range of third party parts importers for them like we do with the likes of VW, Fiat etc.

The 2.4 is a good old engine, very old design that has just been improved over the years. Pretty good on gas, good to work on and quite reliable.

I can't remember which transmission the V50 is running, but in general that's where you want to pay the most attention when purchasing. Go for one with low km's or one that has proven history of transmission service.

My trick to running Volvo's with minimal cost is to do my big 5 yearly service thoroughly (cambelt, tensioners, waterpump, seals, transmission, fuel, oil, air filters etc) and order all the parts from FCP Groton in the states. Even if you don't service it yourself you may be able to find a friendly mechanic that is happy for you to provide the parts.

That way in between 5 year services you really are just doing oil/filter changes and there is no real cost there. The occasional Volvo part at a premium price in NZ is here not there really.

Check out the VW/Audi product as well though. A Passat or Skoda Wagon of the new model starting 2005 would still be my preference if you got one for similar money, but that is hard to do.

Also, be aware that there are Singaporian imported Volvo's around, they attract a lower price and are harder to sell. Possibly they may have more issues too.

Happy shopping.

Oh, an technically some Volvo's have a 10 year timing belt change at something like 180'000km (don't quote me) I still prefer to do a big service including cambelt when I buy one that is 5 years old or older. This has paid off for me in past as an imported one with 30K on the clock I did had a very worn belt.

Waterpumps, tensioners, seals etc are all getting a bit tired by then anyway so you may as well just get on and do it.

cb12, Oct 13, 5:51am
Thanks very much, I had hoped you would see this thread.I will check out the VW etc as you suggest, and see what is about.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 6:16am
You are most welcome. Feel free to come back and hit me up for more info and assistance if you go the VW route (or the Volvo etc)
With any car its all about buying a good example and maintaining it, but sadlywhats really involved is not discussed much.
I have been there and done that several times with the VW and am happy to share what I have learned if its of help.
Happy shopping!

cb12, Oct 13, 6:35am
Thanks.I have had a look for VWs etc on trademe, but not a lot around. The Audis are too expensive for me. (can't afford over $20,000, will have to trade existing car etc). So, i guess i am looking at the V50 2.4 probably 2006 models (can't afford to go newerbut don't want to go older) andbetween 45-70,000kms. When you talk about being careful about the transmission, how do I check this, what am I checking for, and (don't laugh) what is a transmission!

intrade, Oct 13, 6:40am
you want to see the full service history from when it left the factory and then check who serviced it and what was done including repairs, If that dont exists then your probably looking at a neglected car with lurking problems, not always but you wont know if there is no papertrail of its past.

cb12, Oct 13, 6:50am
Ok, thanks, I will look for this.I'm really not bothered about the type of car, other than I'd like a stationwagon with similar years and kms as above, it just needs to be good, safe and reliable.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 6:55am
Passat's and Skoda's can be had in good nick from 15K, they just don't come up every day. The thing is not to be put off, you just have to research what you want and be ready to jump whena bargain comes along.

I will look up what transmission the V50 has and I can probably advise better then. Will update once I have done this.

intrade, Oct 13, 6:56am
probably a toyota camry then with*sfe* 4 pistonpetrol engine then and get it checked for faults by a good mechanic not AA biggest issue on these will be oil leaking. but cheap and reliable , no fun or sporty to drive butyou said you wanted reliable and SW

cb12, Oct 13, 6:59am
Thanks, this would be really helpful.

cb12, Oct 13, 6:59am
Right, will check this out too.Cheers

intrade, Oct 13, 7:02am
and no white cars unless they are fully galvanised like vw or fiat.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:06am
O.K, did some checking and it still has the regular Aisin Warner auto transmission that I am quite familiar with. This is a Japanese transmission (made by a Toyota Subsidiary).

You will hear of these having trouble, and like any regular auto they do if not serviced properly. Sometimes this was marketed as a "sealed for life" transmission which was a popular marketing ploy at the time.

Like all "sealed for life" regular auto's though this was complete nonsense. They just don't last if not serviced.

So, personally I would not buy one that has no transmission service history unless below say 80'000km and if its up near 80K I wouldn't buy one that had hard or lots of city use.

Then I would service it properly straight away and at least every 60'000km there after (40K would be better). Servicing properly means it MUST have the correct Volvo fluid, a full flush and filter replacement. This transmission is good in at least the sump pop's off and you can indeed replace the filter unlike some transmission of the time.

The Volvo fluid is made by Castrol and can be ordered from them at a cheaper price, but its NOT the regular Castrol auto trans fluid available at repco.

I can look up the name if you get as far as needing it.

Hopefully that will help, so long as you takeyour time and get a good one, then follow along with proper maintenance you will likely get a fairly good run. At least you know what to expect and can make your own decision.

Happy Shopping.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:09am
Not having a go at intrade, he is pretty knowledgeable and helpful, but just as an interesting side note. The makers of the Volvo transmission in question are actually a subsidiary of Toyota.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:11am
I think a good thing to reinforce at this point is the Volvo is not really more service intensive than any other car. I would be suggesting the same for any other car with an Auto transmission, Japanese or otherwise.

I say this as there is a lot of tendency in this country to pretend that with this or that badge on the front you can neglect the servicing. This is simply not the case.

sarahb5, Oct 14, 3:52am
We just bought one yesterday!I had my first drive today and once I'd adjusted the seat to my usual armchair driving position as opposed to dining chair it is a lovely drive.One thing I would say is that the boot isn't huge (we've had wagons for years and this one is on the smaller size) and also, depending on the ages and number of your kids, there isn't a huge amount of space in the back either.Definitely when we had 3 kids in the back (2 in car seats) we wouldn't have looked at the Volvo because it wouldn't have been big enough.On the plus side are the in-built booster seats - great for kids who need to be a bit higher but consider themselves too old/too cool for a booster.Also, the leather seats are a definite plus for kids and/or dogs although as this is the newest car we've had for a while I have banned my kids from eating or drinking anything in it!

If you're looking at buying off Trade Me I would be happy to recommend the dealer we dealt with in Pakuranga.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 14, 4:32am
Hi sarahb5,
I suggest you have a read what I wrote above regarding the transmissions on these and get yours serviced properly straight away unless it has been done recently and you know for sure the correct fluid was used.

Also, check its had a recent oil change and is running fully synthetic oil. These engines don't like mineral oil and plenty of garages try and use that.

Other than that, enjoy!

sarahb5, Oct 14, 6:24am
It has been serviced but obviously I'm not sure what oil they used so will get hubby to do an oil change - thanks for that