Help! I need a car thats going to end up doing

moovinup, Oct 13, 6:17am
heaps of mileage so needs to be economical.It needs to fit me and 4 kids in it so if they're having a bad day on the way to school . we live rural so needs to hold up on metal roads and curly corners.I had originally thought I would get a swift but I'm actually wondering about the whole cramped in car thing.Kids are aged 12,10,9, & 7 and do sports.I like the fuel consumption on the swift and its got great looks then I have looked at the Mazda CX ! but price wise hmm not so good want to spend no more than 12K what is everyones suggestions!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 6:21am
VW Touran (or Golf but its smaller bodied version of the same thing),

The Swift is an over priced very entry level vehicle sold mostly on hype and fasion.

Because of the MUCH better technology the VW Golf will give you as good or better economy while having more room and power from a larger engine.

12K will get you a MK5 which is what you want. However, better to spend closer to 10K and allow around 2K for a full, big service, including transmission, cambelt etc. Get it all done right up to date and by the book.

That way you can look foward to a great chance at reliability and 5 years of just cheap oil/filter changes etc. Don't let yourself get fooled into thinking that 2K is a lot to spend on maintenance for a vehicle, realistically anything of that age is going to cost you a similar amount to bring right up to scratch, and likely more over time to service.

BTW, I have erred on the side of 2WD at this stage since you were considering a Swift, if you go 4WD you are generally going to take a hit on economy and possibly maintenance costs.

Also, the VW pretty much blows everything else out of the water in terms of power/economy/technology. To buy anything else comparable you would have to be buying something made in the last couple of years.

msigg, Oct 13, 6:21am
I think you want around the 2000cc cars, Mazda, camry, corolla will be very economical(1800cc) excellent car, Honda euro, you need to take a couple for a drive see what you think. Good luck.

intrade, Oct 13, 6:22am
you found aMazda CX for 12 grand!

moovinup, Oct 13, 6:29am
I wish I could find a Mazda CX for 12K :) but hardly just dreaming but think that wouldve been ideal!.

robotnik, Oct 13, 6:34am
A Toyota Corolla is probably what you need. I suggest a 'Fielder' station wagon model, in 1800cc as these are better on gas than the 1500cc model which needs to work harder and consequently typically uses more fuel. But either way these Corolla's with their variable valve timing engines give excellent fuel economy.

If you want looks then go for the Fielder Z-Edition with its snazzy body kit. You can also find all wheel drive versions of the Fielder. These handle better in the wet and twisties, but will use about 20% more fuel due to drive train loss.

jash3, Oct 13, 7:49am
Honda Odysseys are a good people movers.