Jeep serviced today and had no oil in it.wtf?

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 8:15am
Put the 4.7 V8 Grand Cherokee up on the hoist to drain out the oil and stuff all came out. No knocks, no smoke, no leaks.wheres it gone too! Its using 10w30 - should it be thinner like a 5w30 or someting!

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 8:18am
How much is "stuff all"! 10w30 is fine, 5w30 is even thinner. Any signs of oil leaks under the engine! How many k's has it done since the last oil change!

m16d, Nov 5, 8:24am
You've pulled the wrong plug out.!

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 9:08am
na, a certified mechanic done it - 153000kms.no leaks anywhere!

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 9:08am
PCV valve maybe!

kingfisher21, Nov 5, 9:21am
Do you not even bother to check your own engine oil level at least weekly!

unclejake, Nov 5, 9:40am
Clearly you are used to driving a Mitsubishi and have nothing meaningful to contribute to this topic. LOL

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 10:02am
Weekly! You must think that is normal - your car/truck needs serious attention if your doing that!

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 10:03am
Nope - screen is clear - no smoke or anything

jmma, Nov 5, 10:09am
Did you just go on a big trip in it!

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 10:10am
No, just random last 2 weeks around town, no more than 20km a day

jmma, Nov 5, 10:14am
You say no smoke, no leaks, just put it down to one of those things that happen and keep an eye on it in the meantime.
Goodluck

pollymay, Nov 5, 10:26am
I check my cars weekly, what's wrong with that! Split hoses are my main worry, especially autotragic transmissions with coolers, no warning light for that.

jazzyjack1, Nov 5, 10:34am
I might just replace the PCV valve and / or crankcase breather valve and see if that makes a difference!

pollymay, Nov 5, 10:40am
I just do the basics, compression test, leakdown if needed etc. Clean the engine with degreaser so you can see leaks, put cardboard under the car and run it for 10 minutes, look for marks. You can reroute the breather system to a catchcan temporary for diagnosis.

Your oil rings can be worn even with good compression testing and not show visible smoke all the time

kevymtnz, Nov 5, 11:17am
http://www.wjjeeps.com/engine.htm http://www.asknumbers.com/LiterToQuart.aspx

pays to check ya dipstick from time to time
would have been running on low oil pressure

framtech, Nov 5, 12:20pm
They get a oil leak behind the oil filter base, need a special touque driver bit to undo the bolt to replace the seal (if its leaking).
Would pay to check the oil more often to see how much its using.
Most engines of that old school design burn a little oil around the valve stems to keep them lubed. The rear main crank seal is another area to look at.

kingfisher21, Nov 5, 11:41pm
Errr, no, I have a few brains and like to check things from time to time, you obviously have too much money and can't be bothered doing simple owner checks, read the manual, what does it tell you to do!

unclejake, Nov 6, 12:54am
How much money, exactly, is too much!

I don't check my oil weekly either. I don't even check it monthly. There is no point. I have a well maintained engine that doesn't burn oil.

There is no harm is checking your oil. You can do it daily if you want, just don't go telling others with modern engines that they should do what you do.

johnf_456, Nov 6, 1:03am
I do mine weekly but im a fussy bugger, pays to be safe than sorry and my cars dont use oil either

pollymay, Nov 6, 1:03am
You really should be checking oil weekly, like I said split hoses are my main worry. Loose clamps on hoses. Modern cars are just as prone to those kind of failures as cars of old. I've had cars perfectly maintained with fresh motors and checked after a couple months and hello, no oil. Sump plug gasket leak. That's a 20 cent item that almost wrecked a motor, I didn't pick it up cause I wasn't diligent enough with something that's sooooooo easy. Even the most modern car uses the same copper crush sump plug seal.

johnf_456, Nov 6, 1:14am
Precisly pays to be safe than sorry, not checking is lazyness

kazbanz, Feb 2, 9:01am
jazzyjack--EXACTLY how do you define stuff all ! also Um I do wonder if the wrong plug hjas been undone.