Car classifieds

rpvr, Oct 29, 2:33am
It is interesting that, while car classifieds have the provision to contact by phone or email, many sellers seem to totally ignore emails. I prefer to make an inquiry by email because I can make a number of inquiries when I have spare time in the evening, narrow down a short list based on the replies and then phone any I am still interested in pursuing. But over the weekend I made several email enquiries, and so far not one reply. I thought in the current market people (especially dealers) would be keen to follow up on any possible interest. It's also a pointer on what contact would be like if there were any problems after purchase. Oh well, if they don't want to sell I can't make them, I guess.

00quattro00, Oct 29, 4:22am
Its amazing the amount of classifieds on there where the car has sold but they leave it advertised for 2 weeks

rpvr, Oct 29, 6:27am
Then you would think it would be common courtesy to just reply saying "sorry, car sold", wouldn't you!

kimbo88, Oct 29, 8:25am
And then there is the other side of the coin too - I always reply to email enquiries as apart from it being basic courtesy, you are trying to sell a car.If the car has sold, I cancel the ad as soon as the sale has gone through. But you rarely ever receive a reply from someone to even say "Thanks but no thanks" - so you don't even know if your email was even received.Some basic courtesy goes a long way on both sides of the fence.If I ask someone a question by email and they reply to me, I always make sure that I acknowledge their reply - that way they at least know that you have received it, regardless of the eventual outcome.

carstauranga001, Oct 29, 8:28am
I always reply to e-mail enquiries. A small percentage have the decency to get back to me again but I will continue to reply as that small percentage usually end up purchasers. I find phone enquiries more genuine. For this reason I supply a freephone number.

trade4us2, Oct 29, 8:30am
Doesn't it cost $3 to cancel an ad!

bevharris1938, Oct 29, 8:33am
i find people that TXT or EMAIL never end up buying. If you get a phone call regarding your car / bike , your almost guaranteed to sell it if you have advertised it honestly.

flashgordon_nz, Oct 29, 9:34am
I always laugh at the "potential buyer" asking "Can ya ring me on #####!". The reply being, "my number is listed, you can ring me if interested", to which there always seems to be the reply "Got no credit on phone, you ring me". Um, hang on, your looking at my $8000 van, as a serious buyer, and either cant access a landline to ring me, or you cant top up your phone to ring me!

budgel, Oct 29, 10:35pm
I agree with the OP.

I dont know why people whinge about those who ask questions and dont end up purchasing.You only need one buyer.

If one is serious about selling then it will pay to follow up every enquiry.
There is no way of knowing who is a serious potential purchaser and who isnot.

I remember financing my son into a car years ago, he never seemed to have credit on his phone (it drives me nuts too), but he had the funds available for a car.

julian.walls, Oct 30, 7:25am
"Its amazing the amount of classifieds on there where the car has sold but they leave it advertised for 2 weeks" Local Classic car magazines are particularly bad at this; in the course of my mag reviewing for my website you find cars sold in April are still been listed in Sep or October issues!

Lately with magazines coming out quicker and quicker with new computer technology - the amounts of typos is on the increase - No one proof reads anymore!

rpvr, Oct 30, 8:33am
Another thought occurred to me - maybe some sellers find it a little daunting replying to questions by email, because it creates a record of the questions asked and the replies. Very hard to prove what is said during a telephone enquiry after the event.