New car, not even 3 weeks in on owning it.

bellky, Nov 9, 10:41pm
doesn't look too bad

kazbanz, Nov 9, 10:45pm
Sorry ginga I've got bad news for ya.Painless dent guys can't get into the dogleg area on most cars. They might improve the tail end of the door but the DL needs a beater

skin1235, Nov 9, 10:47pm
cut and polish, sucker cup on the door and you'll never notice it

skin1235, Nov 9, 10:48pm
but yeah, real pain in the proverbial when that happens, 3 weeks in or 3 yrs in, the not knowing the how or why of it is frustrating

johnf_456, Nov 9, 10:49pm
Frustrating that's for sure, very common in Auckland sadly. I have had 2 hit and run so I know how you feel. If you are a fussy person bellky it would annoy you also, why should anyone have to have damage on there car like that from some.

ginga4lyfe, Nov 9, 10:55pm
oh gutted, well thatsPITA then.

ginga4lyfe, Nov 9, 10:57pm
nah, the door needs fine reflexing, the dent isnt deep enough to sucker cup, its mainly the wheel guerd edge and the bottom that annoys me, they arnt as replacable as a door

skin1235, Nov 9, 11:05pm
whats a new door worth, and what would the P/B charge to fill the guard edge and the sill!, may be worth an insurance claim

oops that was your first question, lol,

visually it will be less noticable with a polish but you'll still not have the answers to who, why, and how

ginga4lyfe, Nov 9, 11:14pm
Only have 3rd party Fire and theft with windshield, thats all i have ever needed, so i cant claim on that, I wish i could , but an excess of 500 bucks might not be worth claiming on anyways

big.b-lil.c, Nov 9, 11:23pm
its on the left so unlikely a car going past on the road. it looks like its quite a wide area so does not look like a bumper to me. did your parents go to a parking building! looks like a scrape on a pillar to me. i could be wrong it happens often.

ginga4lyfe, Nov 9, 11:48pm
thats also what it looks like to me, as some of the impressions are quite sharp, but no they parked at a church, next to a white car, now that i think about it. its slightly possible its me that did is, ill have to go check were it may have happened, but i dont remember feeling any bumps or nudges

skin1235, Nov 10, 12:18am
hmmmm, lol, the guilts are setting in, youll be checking every white post and rail and fence for the next few weeks

I've done it before, run the van alongside a big potplant holder, one of those huge 3 ft round buggas, could have sworn it never touched, insurance cliam cost almost $500 to repair the slight groove all along the only section of double skin on the whole side of the van

ginga4lyfe, Nov 10, 1:07am
I did just check the only "possible" place were it could have happened, just to find that it is actually impossible for it to have happened there, then i went to a panel repair shop, only to get this quote :
Remove and replace: LR Door Trim $45 , Repair and align: LR door $120 Lr qtr panel and dog leg $180, Refinish: LR door $200, LR qtr panel $200 Parts: Materials $15 for a total of 760 bucks WITHOUT Gst , with gst is $874, ok. I knew panel and paint were expensive but this seams quite extreme!

bellky, Nov 10, 1:12am
no-one but me drives my cars

ginga4lyfe, Nov 10, 1:19am
thats normally what happens for me too, only i lent it to dad to drop off a Coffey machine at a client.

phillip.weston, Nov 10, 1:37am
it's not worth the $800+ to repair. I would just cut and polish off as much of the scrape marks as possible and ignore it. It wont look out of place compared to all the other 90s Caldinas out there.

ginga4lyfe, Nov 10, 1:51am
yeah it sint worth it at all, I would have thought 300 abouts as its not a hard colour to come by and the paneling shouldnt be too hard to do, but nah. not worth it at all, unless i can get ahold of some panel buddies that i knew a while back

ginga4lyfe, Nov 10, 11:07am
im still interested to find out if the $874 quote is really justifiableconsidering its actually only 1colour that needs blasting, and i wouldnt think that the dents are really that hard to pull

dr.doolittle, Nov 10, 5:56pm
So take the guy who gave you the quote to consumer affairs or court if you think he's charging too much.
How much would it cost just to do nothing!

kazbanz, Feb 16, 10:15pm
Gingaq. When looking at a quote for repairs you need to forget the value of the vehicle and look at the actual repairs.
Whatever and whoever did the damagehas managed to hit the dogleg,the bottom corner of the door and the door sill. I know the area involved isn't large but thaqt is 3 seperate repairs needed. The sill and dogleg will need pulling out as they both have sharp creases. Bit of luck the sill will mostly pop with a puller. They seperately need to come up to the primer stage. The only saving really is on the paint/primer/clear
I can see $600 at a beater for that repair.
The only worry I've got for you is that the sill in a caldina is deemed structural. So MAYBEE some wof guy might ping you for it being damaged. Probably not though