Car just had coil replaced, what causes this?

lisadenholm, Nov 5, 4:54am
is it wear and tear or something a warranty on a vehicle would cover as only had car a week and a half then it started misfiring.First inspection and no prob could be found then got worse so was not a pre-existing issue according to garage but are coils expensive to replace and is is wear and tear that causes them to need replacing!

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 4:59am
What year is the vehicle! How many k's has it done!

cypherboy, Nov 5, 5:00am
Snap! Got in before me
+1

lisadenholm, Nov 5, 5:08am
Nissan Presage 2004

lisadenholm, Nov 5, 5:08am
122,000 kms

thunderbolt, Nov 5, 5:26am
If purchased from a dealer, I would be expecting them to pay.

If private, thats the risk you take.

donz01, Nov 5, 8:00am
We have a 2004 Barina with 20,000km which needs a new coil pack. I asked at repco for a price and it was over $1,000 and I believe that was trade price. The previous night I had actually ordered one from the UK including delivery was only NZ$121 e.t.a Thursday. I also found 1 in TM for $195 at a wreckers. I will wait the extra day for the new one.

msigg, Nov 5, 8:07am
can be caused by leaving the ignition on too long, vibration, maybe steam cleaning the engine bay, maybe knocking with tools. but some just fail because thats what they do due to there construction(too fine a wire,poor insulation!).

therafter1, Nov 6, 11:53pm
If it has the QR series motor then it probably has coil packs. Coil pack failure is usually caused by worn out spark plugs, as in spark plugs not replaced at the required intervals. So in a sense yes it is wear and tear.

NZTools, Nov 7, 5:48am
Could also be argued that if the coil pack failed due to not replacing worn spark plugs at the required service interval, then it failed due to negligence.