Car radios/CD players

logical-cents, Nov 13, 12:52am
Buying my sisters car off her, but it needs a new CD player/radio system. Probably don't want to spend more than $150 could possibly stretch to $200. What is a semi-decent sounding system I could get for that please!

andrea_w, Nov 13, 1:19am
Any reputable brand (Sony, Pioneer, Alpine etc) with a 50x4 amp is fine. have a look on here for ideas.
But to get a semi decent sound system, the stereo is only half of the equation. if the speakers aren't any good even the best stereo can't make them sound good.
If you're replacing the factory stereo, what type of car is it! Additional parts may be required - something to factor into your budget

kazbanz, Nov 13, 1:41am
OP --what car are you looking to buy!

logical-cents, Nov 13, 7:42am
It's a 1996 Subaru Impreza wagon.

logical-cents, Nov 19, 7:12pm
Probably a silly question, but those FM radio transmitters you can get for MP3 players etc, would they work if the actually radio on the car doesn't work!

itsbutters, Nov 19, 7:19pm
PIONEER DEH-4450BT are awesome. You might find one for $200-$240

r15, Nov 19, 7:39pm
anything pioneer.

i dont know if it's still fact but a few years back pioneers 45x4w(max) headunits were good for about 23W RMS whilst the 45x4 sony was about 13RMS

makes a big difference to sound-max ratings are irrelevant really

trdbzr, Nov 19, 10:16pm

fordcrzy, Nov 20, 5:07am
care stereos are all the same now.Utter rubbish quality. pretty much any stereo UNDER 150 will do what you want unless you want bluetooth or an aux input from your phone or ipod. do you even need a cd player! you can get stereos now that only have bluetooth and aux inputs meaning you dont need to store your cd collection in your car.do you have an iphone or ipod!

ryanm2, Nov 20, 5:42am
i just bought a Pioneer mechless (no cd player) for my work van.Wrangled an ex display model for $80 from Repco. HasUSB which charges and can operate ipods (the cheap Sony ones can't) so its ideal for what i need it for.

logical-cents, Nov 21, 10:56pm
I want a CD player. Yea I've got an iPhone but I like CD's too and would rather a CD player in the car

thewomble1, Nov 22, 2:38am
If it can pick-up a FM signal good chance it will work.

trdbzr, Nov 22, 2:40am
Most of them are all pretty much the same in your price range. It doesn't matter what brand you get as long as you stick to the common ones ie. Pioneer, JVC, Philips, Kenwood, Sony, Fusion etc. $150-$200 will get you a basic entry level headunit. Nothing flash but nothing too crap either.