Should a car buyer provide a transit receipt?

russelljsmith, Nov 13, 2:51am
Selling our old car and the NZTA recommends we ask a buyer for a Transfer Receipt before we hand over the keys.

See: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/buying-selling.html

Is this common practice!

Should we insist on getting this receipt before we hand over the keys or if we're happy we have everything else we need from the buyer and should we let them take the car and trust them to sort out the transfer later!

What do you guys normally do!

Thanks!

tazcsv, Nov 13, 2:57am
Get the ownership done before handing keys over, iv been caught before when the buyer takes ages to transfer the ownership and in the mean time i got some speed camera tickets and parking fines, i had to threaten to dereg the car before they changed it and paid all fines.

jmma, Nov 13, 3:01am
Make sure it's done before you hand it over, then you will have no problems (o:

saxman99, Nov 13, 3:52am
I've just sold a car.

I asked the buyer to bring Licence and proof of address with him and did the changeover myself online while he was here.

Instant result.

Done.

n1smo_gtir, Nov 13, 8:10am
Wen I bought mine through here, we did it all online at sellers place on the ltsa transaction site. 5min job easy peasey. It gives the seller piece of mind that he will not get any unexpected tickets, not that I would do that to him.

kazbanz, Nov 13, 8:21am
Hang on do you mean a carrier receipt or a change of registered owner!
In both cases I say YES. The carrier receipt means that all dings n dents are noted and sighned for. covers you if the buyer "discovers" dents.
Change of rego'd owner---again Heck yea No c of O no car -simple