Towing a trailer with Corolla Fielder wagon

lesleyf, Nov 13, 3:01am
We are going camping over Christmas but have downsized from our van to a Corolla wagon.We love the car, but it won't carry all our camping gear, so we will borrow a friend's trailer.The trailer won't be full, but will still be relativly heavy and the roads will be, on occasion, steep and windy, has anyone any experience with this kind of car.It's a 1500 cc engine.
Thanks.

intrade, Nov 13, 3:06am
yeaex naigbour sold her 1500cc v v ti corolla because she was thinking its to gutless to tow a tini trailer. You got to keep the rpm above 4000 rpm as that is where it has its maximum torque . nothing mutch below that, She also stalled it often.

taipan4, Nov 13, 3:10am
seriously.these are good cars but really just shopping baskets.
& if it's auto you will pull the guts out of it

chebry, Nov 13, 4:34am
Dont try to race the traffic and you should be fine just cruise at 90 and keep the engine spining in its torque zone remember the extra weight and stay back a bit more should you need to stop braking is your biggest issue if you cant stop it DONT bother.

r15, Nov 13, 4:48am
it will be fine.dont abuse it, and if its a real long hill and a real hot day, keep an eye on the dash for a trans heat warning light or the temp guage

thejazzpianoma, Nov 13, 5:25am
Crikey, are they that rubbish!
Plenty of people towing caravansbehind VW/Skoda 1.2 litre vehicles!

grangies, Nov 13, 5:37am
No there isn't.

taipan4, Nov 13, 5:38am
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

craig04, Nov 13, 6:00am
!!

morrisman1, Nov 13, 6:08am
The toyota will be fine, as long as you are happy taking your time there won't be any issues. That little car should be quite happy towing around 500kg behind it.

johnf_456, Nov 13, 6:18am
If your only going towing once a year I wouldn't worry about going for a bigger vehicle. The cost wouldn't justify it, anyways. Just take it easy, leave ample room for following distance. Keep left, pull left when its safe to do so and allow traffic to pass and you should not have a problem.

I use to a tow trailer of camping gear in the day with a 1.3 80's Mazda.

grangies, Nov 13, 6:25am
Indeed.

oscar220, Nov 13, 7:45am
I have a 1.5 Fielder as a courier vehicle and regularly have around 500kg loads in the back and no problem power-wise. I upgraded the rear suspension as the standard suspension was very soft so would advise loading the trailer accordingly so you dont take all the weight off the front wheels

cpnnz, Nov 13, 8:36am
Is that the new shape ( late 2006 on ) Fielder with a cvt auto! If so, it will struggle. If it`s the older model with the 4 speed auto, you should be ok if you take it easy.

a.woodrow, Nov 13, 9:38am
We have two as work vehicles, and regularly tow trailers with full 205L drums on the back. not much low down torque though

strobo, Nov 13, 6:14pm
geewhiz ! if its manual stay out of 5th gear , rather these cars are reallydesigned to carry people not tow trailers. just asking for trouble ! 1500cc !

strobo, Nov 13, 6:14pm
geewhiz ! if its manual stay out of 5th gear , rather these cars are reallydesigned to carry people not tow trailers. just asking for trouble ! 1500cc !
Not recommended. most tow cars like that ive seen get stuffed in the suspension/transmissions/engin-
eor rust at the arse end from wee boat trailers. just butchery . & not looking after ya car . & the towing ratio load v tow vehicle need to be balanced .

kdcentralni, Nov 13, 6:35pm
I'm in the don't try this at home camp as well, is there a friend or someone that can tow the trailer to the site!. How far do you need to go!. We had a 20 foot caravan that we wanted to stay in in Whangamata leave there for a few years for summer holidays, only had a 2.4l camry 4 cylinder and live in Palmy. I ended up getting a transport company to tow it there for me and ended up selling it from out of that site a few years later.

r15, Nov 13, 6:47pm
back in 2001 or so i would regularly tow cars on car trailers with my 1600cc 4age powered levin.sure there are better tow cars, but it was more than capable without using anywhere near all of its power. or brakes.so im sure a car 100cc less will be fine with a trailer half the weight.

just dont be stupid with it.

kcf, Nov 13, 6:51pm
Having towed a small trailer with a 1500cc Corolla, I can say that it's going to be a very slow drive, and you're going to be using the low gears a lot.

cone1, Nov 15, 7:33am
x1
It will tow with no problems at all.