Saab 95 air conditioning repair

angelah1, Nov 28, 5:42am
is it reasonable for the auto-electrician have taken 2 days so far and will need a 3rd minimum to fix our Saab 95 fan resistor controller - they ahve taken out the entire dashboard and are going to charge in excess of $1000 for labour - the part is $125

intrade, Nov 28, 5:52am
dont know but i would have not fixed a faulty aircon on a saab. you do knowsaab is bankrupt . but at least your not fixing a aircon on a rover 216 or a mitsubishi gdi

angelah1, Nov 28, 5:55am
if we had known it would cost this much we wouldn't have but by the time they worked out what was wrong it was a day later and the dash was in pieces. They did the 'dont know how much $$$ until we know whats wrong' which is completely understandable but they should have told us the labour cost of pulling the dash apart before they pulled it apart

intrade, Nov 28, 6:04am
yea thats what is wrong in the whole of nz. just got a new client where jobs where done sortof ok but still half arsed. like new fanbelt was fitted by that placeshe always goes to and then next wof same place that fitted the fanbelt tells her its loose woffail and we cant adjust it it needs a new one . She said you just fitted that new and now its not adjustable. well it was porkepies. it was new and slipping and yes to big for what belongs there but i managed to adjust tighten it . loads more things like that like loose oil filter . wof warning . she said you did the oil change last time.its a isuzu mu so it wont hit the oilfilter anywhere was just another halfdone job.

msigg, Nov 28, 6:25am
Yes you will have to pay it , and for that type of vehicle( with no parts around) they will cost more to repair. Think yourself lucky its not the trans, then you can throw the car away.

bmc460, Nov 28, 7:04am
Seems strange theres no parts available,Local country garage gets all my saab parts easy,and my trans has done 300,000 kay and no problems.

meathead_timaru, Nov 28, 7:28am
Did you want the labour to just be an amount in proportion to the part! That logic holds no water so why even bother to mention the part cost!

angelah1, Nov 28, 8:33am
I realize there is no correlation between the cost of the part and the labour cost.I haven't said there are no parts around.My question was about 3 days of labour costs and whether it is reasonable for the tradesman to have not advised that the dash needed to come off to diagnose the problem.It's AC it doesn't make the car go, it is a comfort not safety issue, if we had been told that it would take that much labour we wouldn't have bothered.My concern is we were not advised prior to them committing us to spending $1000 plus on air conditioning and is it reasonable for them to take this approach to customer service!

meathead_timaru, Nov 28, 8:43am
Did you ask!

I can't see it being a 3 day job to replace a fan resistor pack though. I'd say you're being tucked.

mm12345, Nov 28, 9:32am
+1
They can be b@stards of things to get access to, but that seems extreme.
Some possibly disturbing news is that if the blower resistor has died, then there's a very good chance that there's an airflow problem - an issue with the fan motor.If they don't check this out and fix it, then the blower resistor will die again - sooner rather than later.

supernova2, Nov 28, 10:55am
I've had similar problems in Euro cars.I've had the dash out and in and it only took me about 3 hours.What is so special about a saab that takes 3 days!Your being ripped.

elect70, Nov 29, 3:07am
Thats the price for not having a jap car, they obviously havent a clue where it is tofix it so just ripping everything out until they find it . I took a XJ6 jag to auto electrician to fix the wiper motor,wouldnt park . Rang after 2 days &said i needed to supply him with a workshopmanual with wiring diagram .Took it home .

headcat, Nov 29, 4:55am
Where did you find an auto electrician who works for $40 an hour! More likely he has/will spend ten or twelve hours on it and it will be in his workshop for three days.

angelah1, Nov 29, 5:00am
so their charge out rate is $80-100 per hour!

supernova2, Nov 29, 7:30am
Bet you my left one that it was the limit switch on the wiper motor.Once you find the wiper motor about 10mins would see it fixed.