Car polisher

alski2, Dec 7, 6:16am
well i am after one what do your use and what do you use with it ! is it hard work, any bad storys to tell! were did you buy your polisher and how much was it i am looking at spending about 80-100 dont mind spending more

kazbanz, Dec 7, 6:18am
a REAL car polisher starts at $150 and goes up from there. The one you want looks like a 150mmangle grinder.
Put simply -start out on a car you don't care about.and use only fine grit cutters. Once you have the feel for it then start with heavier compounds

pollymay, Dec 7, 6:21am
Real polishers like kaz said go up from $150. I got one cheap from field days I think for $100 which is quite good. If you are looking at REAL polishers then you will find with a sheepskin it will burn the paint like nothing, very aggressive. I prefer a firm-med foam pad for just touching cars up and headlights.

EDIT, also very hard work. Your arms will ache if you do a big job and are really working the machine.

theram1, Dec 7, 6:22am
mangle grinder sounds scary.

gunhand, Dec 7, 6:52am
I use a Stayer polisherand in 10 years plus its never needed anything but a cord and brushes. It gets used most days and can be used non stop for 3 days at a time. Theres many other brands out there as well.
As Kaz said, pratice on a old dunger first. Painters may make it look easy but if you get it wrong you can have a rather heavy polisher tossed out of you hands and across your car. They do damage big time.
Polishing 2k products is easier than older single pack paints as they burn and cut through very easy.
Some use a spray bottle of water while polishing, some don't.Keep the pad clean at all times when starting a new polish job. Don't put too much cutter on and also not enough.
Keep it as flat as possable with very slight tilt. Keeping it flat flat can cause it to bounce if your compond is to thick (to much of it)
Do a small area at a time but don't stay in one place forever as panels do heat up and it will ruin things.
There many different cutters componds etc etc but don't use a bucket full from repco etc. Go buy a ltr bottle of the correct stuff from a paint supply shop. It goes a long way.
Pad choice is many as well.Foam or wool.I use two types of foam. One for hard cut and one for final polish and glaze. They come in different shapes and sizes. I don't recommend the big thick 6" orange ones for a beginner.
If you happen to be polishing a dark colour and wonder why it sort of stays dull and cloudy it is because you will need a final glaze and finer foam pad.
I use amicrofiber cloth to wipe after finishing as they don't smear.
To tell you the truth its bloody hard work after a few hours LOL but the results are great.
Well thats polishing, theres cutting the paint first but ill assume you only want to buff the paint on your car and not doing new paint.

gammelvind, Dec 7, 7:16am
Bunnings have the Ozito buff for about $130. Several of my customers have one, seem to last for about 2 years of pro use. Probably last a lifetime of home use. Apart from that Gunhands advice is great.

alski2, Dec 7, 7:18am
thanks for that i no lots more you are all so nice telling me this , i will be going to get one in the weekend now thanks