Bargaining at a car dealership

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Dec 12, 4:11am
Bang on right there smac-Trouble is thats hard to establish. With asking price at least you have an idea of price range.

kazbanz, Dec 12, 4:16am
Frankly if you started by offering $5000 on a car I had listed for $13995 I'd make it quite clear we can't do buisiness. Your indicated expectation is unrealistic

howie69, Dec 12, 12:48pm
Agreed and I am not a car dealer, or in that industry. The best outcome for all in any type of trade is a win win situation. This means both parties may have moved on price but are equally happy with the outcome. It is a business for the dealer, and they have to make a reasonable return to be able to survive. Employees like a fair wage for working, business owners are likewise entitled to a fair return on investment. PS I am a worker. Cheers

mokaubach, Dec 13, 7:41am
Tongue in cheek guys, lighten up.

master-trader, Dec 13, 7:47am
I'm all for hustling on the price and thoroughly believe in the 'you don't knwo if you dont ask' theory.

However, once selling a car on behalf of someone else, the potential buyer came over to check the car out. We then went for a drive and he proceeded to tell me all the faults he could feel as he was driving it and game me a running total of how much they'd cost .

After test drive was over he made an offer based on what I was asking minus his estimated repair costs and then some. To be honest , this pissed me off as no one else had encountered these problems in their test drives. So it was a matter of sticking to my guns and saying this is the price, if youwant the car that;s what you pay.

So after that rant what am I saying ! moods and personalities definitely play into it . But to the OP I say go in low, and stay firm, and if it hits a price you aren't willing to pay walk away.

steptoe72, Dec 17, 7:50pm
Car sales. are for people that dont know about cars. I like the ones out back.:-)they are the better buys.

kazbanz, Dec 17, 8:17pm
HMM --really so the sales staff know nothing about cars hu!
ohh darn it all I guess I must be googling my answers to peoples mechanical questions.

amberjandal, Dec 17, 9:58pm
LOL - You smokin some good stuff :-)

bellky, Dec 17, 10:14pm
Don't worry about being cheeky! Go for your life. Try and get a deal that YOU are happy with.

I've never bought a vehicle (except one commercial vehicle) from a dealer, as I can never strike a deal that I am happy with.

bellky, Dec 17, 10:14pm
Don't worry about being cheeky! Go for your life. Try and get a deal that YOU are happy with.

I've never bought a vehicle (except one commercial vehicle) from a dealer, as I can never strike a deal that I am happy with.

Remember: Dealers are stealers. :)

a.woodrow, Dec 17, 11:41pm
And buyers are liars

bellky, Dec 18, 12:32am
Woops, I should have said:

Dealers are stealers, and liars.

;)

oakie, Dec 18, 6:26pm
huggy. if you can't afford the car you want save some more money rather than making a fool of yourself trying to crunch a dealer. most dealers will be experts handling people like you. they will use you for sport.

cubasesx, Dec 20, 6:54am
Cracks me up when people constantly slate dealers.

Yet 99% of trade in's ive had dealings with have undisclosed problems
that people are willing to dump on a dealer and hope he doesn't notice when doing a test drive and valuation.

ksam, Dec 20, 7:08am
^^^^ this, people think they're so clever getting one over a dealer, every one laughs at the idiot salesman, tells their mates and it becomes an urban legend, oh, but the other way round, all the backyard legal stars have their great advise.CGA,,,dealers are stealers, blah blah.be fair, most car dealers are the same, or if you don't like it, go elsewhere, most private sellers expect dealer prices for their gem anyway, but wouldn't consider backing the price up with warranties.

carmad50, Dec 20, 8:42am
1 k carmost car yards would ve picked for 8 to 9 k I d be cheeky and offer them 9 matealways worth a try as you walk out v there yard and count a wad of hundy notes as you do, gets em thinking a cash buyer yippee
better still I ve got a 95 terrano for sale 5k

bellky, Dec 20, 8:07pm
I only really do it because of a certain poster on here who I hate.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 8:22pm
Ohh really its got rust in the roof!
No it hasn't got a blown head gasket- that creamy stuff in the oil cap and in the rad is just cos I havent changed the oil
Its in MINT condition.
It had new tyres (3 years ago)
Yes the cambelt has been replaced -um dunno where/when or by who
That oil leak just started.
Yea itll get a WOF (check sheet on the floor with a list of fail items)
The list of lies told to us dealers would take up a lot of bandwidth to fill
You could get all bitter and twisted about it or just accept that they will tell lies to you.

bjmh, Dec 20, 8:27pm
a bit like all the honest John citizens who bleated about clocked cars coming from Japan.the same guys who every time i did a wof on their vehicles have the speedo disconnected.bit different now with computers though