Southward Car Museum - how much time.

barrie2, Dec 10, 10:19pm
to allow for a serious look at most exhibits. Plan to go alone as wife gets bored so need to plan my trip (Rotorua). Thanks.

harry353, Dec 10, 10:30pm
Two hours, maybe more. Depends on how closely you examine them all.

jmma, Dec 10, 10:35pm
Heaps of time, take your lunch and enjoy (o:

bizsafe, Dec 10, 10:39pm
! seriously, though. Give yourself a decent chance to enjoy it all FULLY. You have thought about it already and can see the problem. That is, what you want verses what your wife can cope with, until mechanical boredome sets in, and your own time limitation.
Allow as much time as you an get. At least half a day.
There is an absolute enourmousnumber of items to see.
Yes. lots of time and NO WOMEN.(the only rule you will need)
Enjoy it.
Rx.

muzz67, Dec 10, 11:03pm
i dragged th Mrs there, spent hours, and she later said she really enjoyed it! Ya just cant read em sometimes!

noswalg, Dec 10, 11:23pm
last time I went there the missus was over it about 1.5hrs in, I could of spent that long looking at the Redbull Ford Falcon trolley in the foyer http://www.cardatabase.net/search/photo_search.php!id=00133545&size=large Then theres the Gangster Cadillac just inside the door and the cool old Maserati racecars not to mention the bikes and the Basement. Yep, you need 2 days!

monaro_xxx, Dec 10, 11:43pm
that trolley is CLASSY! .and yeah at least 2 hours

sas777, Dec 10, 11:53pm
Went there a few years back with the missus - she really enjoyed looking around too, especially the Gangster car, couldn't get over how thick the glass was!
I say take her along, you never know. And if it all turns to custard, just lie and say the next museum down the road hosts the Imelda Marcos shoe collection.

barrie2, Dec 11, 12:31am
lol. good replies. Now if there was a few hectares of greenhouses and little plants / veges next door that would be fine, however as our relationship just now is as shaky as these isles I insist on going alone. Maybe a nights accom as I would need about 6 hours judging from these replies. Appears to be 4hours 40mins from Rotorua - say 4 hours if I get the PT Cruiser singing sweetly through her BORLA catback pipes. (I added that so I would not get any requests to travel with me). Perhaps all that in one day is too much!

wingpoint, Dec 11, 1:55am
yep, 4-6 hours. Cafe in there too, so don't need to take sammies and flask LOL. Stay all day if you're on your own.

elect70, Dec 11, 2:42am
If first timerthen 3 hoursminimum to see it all . Weekdays are bestweekends big crowds& tour bus loads

jkm, Dec 11, 4:08am
Difinitely a good day out, if you are a keen car lover I would say at least 1/2 a day but sounds like you could make a day of it.

trogedon, Dec 11, 5:02am
Does she read! Buy her a new book just before you go and pack a deckchair.

barrie2, Dec 11, 7:11am
Yes she read a whole book last February whilst I was in the Wanaka museum - but her face said more than wordscould express on my return. Also she has suffered for a lengthy time recently outside the Horopito yards. come to think of it I'm not surprised the "bricks are down" just now.lol. Looking forward to my Southward journey, mid week, no wifey. ahhhhhh

ralphdog1, Dec 11, 8:48am
If you are bored after 1/2 a day, you have no right posting in this messageboard, it is a magical place.
I met Sir Len there many years when I was a much younger lad and we were waiting for the doors to open on a Saturday, he spent about 1/2 an hour with my mate & I, was a real nice guy, always remember that.

ema1, Dec 11, 8:52am
I've been there a couple of times 2007 & 2008 and took about 2+ hours both times and that wasn't enough really.

paull, Dec 11, 10:04am
if she gets bored just tie her to the rotating platform out the front and grab her on the way out

peja, Dec 11, 12:27pm
Going on my experience there a few years back plan at least half a day, and I gathered the collection has expanded since. Awesome place

chebry, Dec 11, 6:53pm
Ive spent hours at Southwards and Horopito admiring the scenery take all day and you'll still miss something.

chevcamaro, Dec 11, 8:28pm
santa did it

kellrae, Dec 11, 10:57pm
We (Mr & Mrs K) went there at the beginning of the year when on a cruise ship - 'stole' my nieces car and were up there at 10.Had the place to ourselves for most of the time until the ship excursion bus arrived!Think we had a good couple of hours there, and we BOTH enjoyed having a good look around.Think DH took about 100 photos!

969pnz, Dec 12, 6:15am
Be warned, though, you will not be making this visit only once!The huge variety and quality of the displays will linger for quite some time.

mantagsi, Dec 12, 8:22am
You lucky bastard, what a great memory that would be :)

Southwards is absolutely fascinating, definately need several hours! Oh, and for those who have small children who look with their hands and not with their eyes, be careful! I had a bit of a laugh last time I was there, the staff made short work booting an unruly gaggle of kids and very embarrassed parents out of the museum after a good few fair warnings

julian.walls, Dec 13, 11:42pm
mantagsi I take it you have a Opel Manta Gsi - I get mine going one day - Southwards great place -its well worth a visit - In March there is the open day to all this includes the hidden away from the public eyes restorations - the Owen -Magnetic is going to be finally been worked on Sir Len discovered that on a farm in 1956 but its only recently the technology of present day can fix its complicated transmission ( I have to remember to bring a camera this time and publish the report on my website unlike last year ) . I too have met Sir Len in his early 80s he was tough old bastard. I joined him over a cup of tea with him with wife Vera who was a lovely person- his house was up on a rise near the museum ; the Museum got a good cafe - get her to bring a book and you go out and visit the exhibits