Accord Euro or Skyline 250GT?

Page 1 / 2
redbeech, Jan 1, 9:14pm
Thinking 2004-2008!Thoughts please!

redbeech, Jan 1, 9:15pm
Should have said the 2.4 Euro, not the R

skull, Jan 1, 9:30pm
Accord Euro L for me, very nice cars, probably a bit less likely to have been hooned than a Skyline. Honda possibly a little more economical than the Skyline as well but have no facts to back up that wild claim.

meathead_timaru, Jan 1, 9:54pm
Euro, hands down.

nzdoug, Jan 1, 10:03pm
O.P.
How old are you!
Euro nice ride for over the hill gang, Skyline for hooning, as above.

wrong2, Jan 1, 10:30pm
250GT is a luxo barge like the accord

your probablly thinking of the other model skyline nissan made

lazzo, Jan 1, 10:47pm
Honda Accord Euro is an easy winner here.

craig04, Jan 1, 10:53pm
The newer 250GT Skylines are a nice car.

redbeech, Jan 1, 11:05pm
I'm over 40, not over the hill :). Just looking for something with a bit of power to tow the boat (currently have a 2 litre), but won't turn me round and bend me over each time I pass a service station.The GT doesn't look to be an out and out boy racer unit and I've always liked the Accords - just looking for something to compare between really.Nissan is RWD! (better at the boat ramp)!

redbeech, Jan 1, 11:08pm
Another to throw in the mix - Toyota Mark X!

vtecintegra, Jan 1, 11:30pm
The V35 Skylines are a bit dated now, but quite cheap to buy
The V36 looks a bit fresher but I have a feeling they're just about to start their depreciation slide

If you go for a V35 then you may as well look at the 300GT - not really any more expensive to buy, or to run

redbeech, Jan 2, 12:19am
Excuse my ignorance - how do I know which is V35/36!

bitchwitattitud, Jan 2, 2:01am
The skyline 2.5 will have the Neo Di motor, I would steer clear

vtecintegra, Jan 2, 2:05am
Only the V35. V36 went back to conventional fuel injection.

bwg11, Jan 2, 2:18am
This will start a controversy, but I would consider the RWD Nissan would be a much better tow vehicle, if "the boat" is any bigger than a 4 metre tinny.

redbeech, Jan 2, 2:40am
Boat is a 5.7 Mac, so light for the size, but just a bit much for the 2L, particularly at the ramp (and I haven't really attacked any big hills yet either).Either the V35 or V36 look nice cars to me.4 fuel stars in that V36!

bwg11, Jan 2, 3:15am
A MAC 5.7 must have a tow weight around 1250 kg which in my opinion would be a big ask for any FWD car. If you are planing much towing or have steep ramps, the FWD/RWD choice should dictate your purchase rather than personal preference, as they are both good cars.

vtecintegra, Jan 2, 3:23am
I'll point out that both models can be had with AWD (although I think you need a wagon to get AWD and the 2.4 in the Accord). Just note you pay an economy penalty for AWD when you don't need it.

Also I'd tend to think 4 stars is a bit generous for the 2.5 Skyline unless you're talking mostly open road - around town I'd expect an Accord to do significantly better

lazzo, Jan 2, 4:22am
The Accord Euro is light years ahead of the Nissan IMHO. If you tow the boat 1% of the time, then why let that influence your buying decision by more than 1%!

redbeech, Jan 2, 5:59am
That 1% of the time assumes much more importance if it leaves you looking like a w___ker at the boat ramp :)I think tow weight on the Mac is more like 1 tonne.Lazzo, what are your reasons for the Accord preference!I drive around 85 km round trip to work each day and in total around 25000 a year, so most of my kms are open road, but from what I've read I would have thought that 4 stars on the GT was optimistic

lazzo, Jan 2, 6:24am
Most cars on the road will tow a 1 tonne boat, and pull it from a boat ramp.

In my opinion the Honda Accord Euro has:

MUCH better looks
Better engineering
Better build quality
Better popularity
Better economy
Better resale

Accord Euros have been a big hit with the fleet sector, so proven for daily commutes.

lazzo, Jan 2, 6:25am
Yes. That's the bugger. Beaut car, much better than the Nissan.

vtecintegra, Jan 2, 6:46am
I don't agree the Accord has better build quality or engineering - they're both fairly equivalent. Better economy is probably fair, but then the Nissan has better performance and handling.

bwg11, Jan 2, 8:07pm
So by this logic, appearance parked in your driveway should have a weighting of 90%, as that is where it will spend at least 90% of it life!

lazzo, Jan 2, 8:47pm
Not many people own a Multipla. Why!