Rear wheel bearings

Page 1 / 2
stevo275, Jan 3, 4:36am
vtnzfail wof on car this morning .play in rear wheel bearings. took it to a mechanic who had alook andsaid yeah sure there is slight movement but nine out of ten would have passed it.anyway there is no way of adjusting as it is pressed bearing. so i said how much to fix it then. reckons won t know til he starts pulling it apart.so wasn t to keen on that answer. wondering if any one has done any of these and what i could be up for. car is 2006 es diamante

faa_luke, Jan 3, 5:26am
I just replaced one in a Corolla, mates rates on the parts cost me $150 all up. Did the work myself. My guess would be 3-4x that for yours, which is a total guess. But based on the fact your paying labour and that a diamante is 3-4x fancier than my Corolla.

a.woodrow, Jan 3, 6:40am
Huh lol! ^^^^

OP, get a quote from a different mechanic, if the one you just went to can't quote a wheel bearing replacement you probably don't want him working on your car

a.woodrow, Jan 3, 6:45am
If it's minor play and the mechanic was happy with it why not pay him to do the wof and save yourself the money!

stevo275, Jan 3, 6:51am
yeah asked if he could do that and he said vtnz have already entered the reason for fail on line so he could get in the shit for giving a warrant without doing the repair

supernova2, Jan 3, 8:29am
Put a few greasy finger marks here and there and go back for a retest.Chances are that you will get a different inspector and it wil pass.Remember with VTNZ you can get the retest at any VTNZ station.If it fails again you have lost nothing apart from a bit of time.If it passes you have saved lots.

mugenb20b, Jan 3, 8:33am
He won't get in the shit.

sr2, Jan 3, 8:35am
I have to agree, it??

franc123, Jan 3, 8:43am
If its the type I'm thinking of with the staked nut it may respond to tightening up, give it a retorque to spec and restake it, you have nothing to lose.

msigg, Jan 3, 8:57am
could be $150 to $350 depends on how much labour and how much the bearing is. Get it fixed then you'll have no more problems.

a.woodrow, Jan 3, 10:01am
You definitely need to go to another mechanic if that's what he said.

mrfxit, Jan 3, 10:38am
Most of those bearings CAN be nipped up enough to take out that tiny bit of play.
Done it with many various vehicles & no problems.

The only time you really do need to replace them is when they are noisy or VERY loose.

ONLY tighten up enough to take out the slack, nothing more.

stevo275, Jan 3, 7:17pm
thanks for the replies. yes i am getting to or three quotes now. unfortunately it s not the type that can be tightened so it s a bit of a bitch. might try at a different vtnz today.

toyboy3, Jan 3, 7:35pm
refer to message # nine

supernova2, Jan 3, 7:59pm
I hope its not one of thoses crazy designs where the bearing and hub are replaced as an assembly as that will put the costs up.If its a simple roller bearing type then sometimes just a clean and regrease will be enough to take up a small amount of play.However if it's worn out its worn out and the only real answer will be new parts.Just out of interest what Ks has the car done!

stevo275, Jan 3, 8:31pm
117 ooo km

mrfxit, Jan 3, 9:20pm
THAT . is very probably what they want you to believe because thats what the factory instructions say.

The factory also tells you that you can't put a later model engine in your car or bigger or wider tyres . BUT >>>>

Most bearings can be nipped up at least once with no hassles as long as ONLY the slack is removed & theres no noise from the bearing in the 1st place

mrfxit, Jan 3, 9:22pm
But yea ok, why should I care if you want to spend money on repairs you don't really need to do.

stevo275, Jan 3, 9:54pm
well yeah obviously im only taking the guys word for it. as i know jack shit about cars. i don t want to waste money who does so i will wait for the quotes come in then ask if they can do any ajustment. thanks for your feed back.

mrfxit, Jan 3, 10:36pm
No worrys, far too many pppl are so scared of govt regs these dyas & have also only been trained "by the book" that it's getting hard to find a mechanic "with brains"

curlcrown, Jan 4, 3:11am
If he thinks its ok why not pay him to do a wof inspection and put a wof on it!

stevo275, Jan 4, 3:29am
read post 5

gadgit3, Jan 4, 3:45am
Steveo. By the book there is no adjustment in these bearings. but a compident mechanic will just give the end nut a tap up and the play will be gone.
As far as not being able to issue a wof is someone elce has done it. this is myth.
It's up to the inspector on the day. if he or she feels it is up to spec then they can sign off and give the vehicle a wof and it dose not matter if 100 other inspectors have failed it.

stevo275, Jan 4, 4:02am
thanks mate good to know.

mrfxit, Jan 4, 6:57am
LOL ,. mmmmm didn't I suggest the same thing a little while ago !