White oxidation on car paint

cassum, Jan 6, 4:06am
Anyone know how to get rid of this!
Cheers

gunhand, Jan 6, 4:11am
Pretty much a repaint of area. Good cut and polish "may" help somewhat for a short time.

a.woodrow, Jan 6, 4:11am
What has caused it! sun fading, chemical damage! sometimes cut and polish will remedy but if it's etched it might need resprayed

cassum, Jan 6, 4:13am
Im assuming it's sun fading. it's only on the roof of the car. Ive tried some paint restoring stuff from super cheap, spent a few hours on it and it's still pretty bad. just trying to get a few more ideas. if there is any lol

a.woodrow, Jan 6, 4:18am
After cut and polish, respray is probably your only option.

attitudedesignz, Jan 6, 4:19am
This is the only answer you need, you will however get the KNACs who say a good polish will work but it's BS.

cassum, Jan 6, 4:20am
Bugger, thought that would be the case.

attitudedesignz, Jan 6, 4:22am
What colour is it! A red or blue i'm guessing. Also what is the car!

a.woodrow, Jan 6, 4:28am
Call me a KNAC if you want, but I've owned plenty of cars where a cut and polish has removed the oxidisation and it hasn't come back.

cassum, Jan 6, 4:31am
It's a 97 Honda Integra, the car is dark blue

gunhand, Jan 6, 4:35am
Bad oxidisation is useually pitted , edgey and powdery to touch and is just as hard to fix as clear coat peeling.Slighty faded paint ( slightly whitend red paint for example) can be restored to a good lasting shine. Thats why its important to protect ya red car if you want it to stay looking new.

attitudedesignz, Jan 6, 4:38am
OP, can you post a pic so we can see if it's "oxidized" or just peeling.

How did i know it'd be blue lol.

Ok.KNAC!

kazbanz, Jan 6, 4:57am
It is oxidisation not that demon spawn product--sunscreen hand prints !

cassum, Jan 6, 9:48am

edangus, Jan 6, 9:50am
Poked, needs repaint.

gunhand, Jan 6, 9:50am
it is beyond anything bar a repaint if its that bad im afraid.

tool_shop173, Jan 6, 9:52am
Looks like the clear cote is coming off.

cassum, Jan 6, 9:52am
Any ideas how much a repaint of the roof would cost!

edangus, Jan 6, 9:55am
To be honest, its probably not worth doing.

gunhand, Jan 6, 9:56am
To do it properly requires it to be stripped primed etc. Allow $400 to $600 I would say. Its not a 5 min job.

a18a, Jan 6, 10:01am
or if you're confident with spray cans, you could go get a can of matching paint made up and do it yourself for around $50. won't be as good as a pro job but will look a lot better than the faded roof

attitudedesignz, Jan 6, 9:20pm
I'd rather leave it as is than use an aerosol can. Let's think 'bout that for a moment. OP has no experience (obvious because of posing the question to start with), they give the roof a quick 220 dry (because that's what the monkey at supercheap told them to do when OP bought the spray can of colour.which WILL be the wrong colour anyway), OP sprays the roof but finds one can isn't enough, races down and gets another can (which will be different colour again because cheap a** spray can colours aren't consistant), goes home and starts again. Job looks ok UNTIL the next day when the OP notices all the stripes because of the crappy can nozzle. OP has now spent $50 on a half a** job that looks worse than the original oxidization and which will look horrible in 2 months time because the temporary fix has become VERY temporary.
I detest spray cans, they are the hatefull coating tools of the devil.

OP, the above is not ment to offend but give you some insight from a car painters point of view. If you want to keep the car then make the investment in getting it done properly, but if you are wanting to tidy it up to sell then leave it as is, a prospective buyer would rather see the oxidization than a stripey badly done repiar and will wonder what is being hidden.

Edit for spelling.