Suggest me a small car under 10k please

Page 1 / 2
luvmykicks, Jan 18, 3:21am
I am currently looking for a new car, currently have a Toyota Camry station wagon and I'm going to sell it.
I have a 6 year old and a small dog, just us.
Looking for something smaller and probably a hatchback, 5 door preffered.
Was leaning towards a VW golf, but also looked at a few Suzuki swifts today and liked them too.
I don't do massive long distance driving that often, but still want something cheaper on gas than what I currently drive. Will be mostly round town sort of driving.
Anyone got pros or cons for the above cars, or suggestions of others!
Maximum budget is 10k, lower than that being an advantage.

Thanks in advance!

wrong2, Jan 18, 3:46am
Fiat Puntos have reasonable interior space for their size, & they sell very cheaply

scoobeey, Jan 18, 4:13am
Op wants a car not a spew bucket:)

wrong2, Jan 18, 4:15am
& thats a helpfull post how !

do you have any idea of their fuel economy ! or of how they compare space wise to other super minis !

im betting you dont

incar., Jan 18, 4:27am
Out of the 2 the swift is a wiser option.

leonard57, Jan 18, 4:46am
is car going to be housed or will it sleep outside!

lazzo, Jan 18, 5:00am
Honda Jazz
Ford Fiesta
Mitsubishi Colt & Colt Plus

wellystretch, Jan 18, 5:35am
Haha if I had ten grand I'd put it toward a house deposit, I'm onto my 3rd car over the last ten years, most I've spent is $2700 on one vehicle, really decent condition vehicles with reasonable kms on them too, no problems at all mechanically with any of them, pays to shop around.

msigg, Jan 18, 6:03am
Mazda 2, mazda 3, corolla, golf, suzuki, nissan tiida, take some for a test drive see what you think, thats the best way, go from there. good luck.

luvmykicks, Jan 18, 7:01am
Will be housed!

luvmykicks, Jan 18, 7:03am
Thanks for your advice but I've done that the last 3 cars and it's cost me more than the cars in repairs. I need something half pie reliable. I'm not making another vehicle mistake but I'm glad it's working out for you

luvmykicks, Jan 24, 4:12am
Well I'm off test driving tomorrow and snooping around to see anything else I may like.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 5:43am
If you are very astute 8-10K will buy you the MK5 Golf or its sibling in a different dress the Audi A3 (same car different top on the body). The MK5 is the new shape starting 2005.

However. most will be due a major service (actually this goes for the majority of cars you look at) so allow around 2K to get the cambelt, transmission, cooling system etc serviced.

Then you will most likely get 5 years of running with very little to spend.

The MK5 Golf is a million times the car of the other options, its still got more up to date features than some of the brand new cars available today.

Don't be afraid of the 2.0 version of the Golf, its economy is pretty similar to the 1.6 but it has considerably more go. Interestingly because of the MUCH better newer technology I can get better economy out of a 2.0 Golf than I can out of a 1.3 Suzuki (or most of the similar 1.3 Japanese options).

So yes, for more safety, comfort, features, power, economy etc the Golf or A3 is the start of the show.

carstauranga001, Jan 24, 5:54am
That's what you said to the lady who ended up with a 7 grand bill on her auto trans only a matter of months after the fantastic purchase. I bet she's rapt with your advice. Save money and buy privately too you say. Then you get no warranty, no CGA protection, all costs beared by the new owner. Great advice Jazz, great!

Fast forward 5 mins and you will call me a knuckle draging troll.

OP, if you entertain the thought of one of Jazzmans Euros please buy from a dealer and get protection under the CGA. Even better buy a 3 year warranty. Statistics I get from Autosure prove that you will benefit from the warranty, VW's have heaps of claims. Or just buy a low km Corolla or Tiida instead.

Jazz will be here soon to dispute this. Good on ya Jazz, I've said my piece and won't comment again in this thread.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 5:57am
What person was this! You are not still quoting the one and only DSG fault ever to appear on this message that was not even a transmission fault at all in the end are you!

You know, the one you have been corrected on many times now.

What a surprise. suggest something that the local car dealer can't provide at the price and the toys get thrown.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 6:23am
As I said. nice one. the dealers cronies do the advertising and the dealer comes and discredits the poster with no vested interests who suggests something they can't provide at the price.

What a crock.

arrithedog, Jan 24, 10:06am
There is a reason why they sell very cheaply.!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 10:14am
Yes. its because we live in a weird county that's entire used car industry has revolved around used Japanese imports for years. The MK2 Punto was the biggest selling car of its size in much of the world, its not the mega bargain it once was in NZ (Kiwi's are slowly waking up) but its still a great option.

Most of the people who heckle them have never even sat in one let alone owned one. We have had examples of all generations of Punto in the family (My wife currently runs a Grande Punto as a long distance commuter) and all have been great cars.

luvmykicks, Jan 27, 2:17am
Thanks everyone for the advice. I went test driving on Friday and took a Mazda demio sport edition 2005(jap import Mazda 2) and a swift 2005 for a drive and ended up buying the Mazda. Pick it up next week! Very excited.

arrithedog, Jan 27, 2:35am
Then you have been extremely lucky. I lived in Europe for 43 years where they have continually lived up to their reputation as the biggest bag of sh*t on the market after a Lada Riva or a Wartburg Knight.
But what would I know, I'm not a mechanic or a dealer, just someone who drives and pays.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 27, 2:40am
I am also someone who drives and pays. and I have driven and paid for over a dozen Fiats now, including a small fleet doing around town commercial use. Yet I have had phenomenal reliability from my Fiats.

Its funny you mention Europe, clearly they must be hated over there given that the Punto is often the biggest selling vehicle in its class, not to mention the many awards the Punto and its engines have received.

Come back and flap your wings when you have owned a few.

arrithedog, Jan 27, 2:59am
That will never happen. Anyway, I'm out. This sort of discussion is a bit pointless. Each type of vehicle has it's place. Punto, to me, is the scooter of the car world - I'll stick to my cruiser. If you're buying new, there aren't many cars that will give you much of a problem.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fiat/punto/18726/fiat-punto

luvmykicks, Jan 27, 3:22am
I aleady purchased an 05 Mazda demio :)

jmma, Jan 27, 3:24am
Enjoy your new motor (o:
Don't mind everyone else in this thread, they are in their world and will carry on for a little bit yet (o:

msigg, Jan 27, 7:50am
Nice small car Luvmykicks, will be cheap to run.