Yes, another 'which car' thread.

attitudedesignz, Jan 31, 6:08am
So, SWMBO has decided she wants a new(er) car, yes i have scoured the MB but that became tiresome when the threads turn into infantile squabbles.
She currently has a '01 Toyota Vitz RS, 1300 manual 2 door.
Criteria for new car are,

1800cc
manual
4 doors, either a large hatch or smallish wagon
2005 up
Between $10k & $15k

I was thinking
Swift
Focus
Mazda 3
Corolla

She likes the look of the
Nissan Wingroad
Mazda Demio
Toyota Caldina

So, i'm looking for ideas as with there being so much choice we can't even start to narrow it down LOL

Oh.NO jazz, we don't want a euro (besides the Focus haha)

clark20, Jan 31, 7:01am
Mazda 3 gets my vote

cassina1, Jan 31, 7:05am
I think with manuals now being rare it will be a case of hunting for the best manual in the 1800cc size over the brand of car.

attitudedesignz, Jan 31, 7:20am
Besides engine size and $ it's the kinda thing we're looking for.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 7:27am
Seems weird to pick based on CC rating rather than power/economy. But happy shopping none the less.

attitudedesignz, Jan 31, 7:29am
OK jazz, since you're here, what's your thoughts! keep in mind we DO NOT want a euro.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 7:32am
Does she want another manual! As this will affect choice as well.

attitudedesignz, Jan 31, 7:33am
Can you read!

johnf_456, Jan 31, 7:43am
yes I can, but just questioning it. Has manuals cars are a dying breed.

edangus, Jan 31, 8:37am
Swift
Focus
Mazda 3
Stay with these ones.

kevymtnz, Jan 31, 9:01am
car importers bring these CVT and autos in cose they are cheaper to buy
but you go overseas and there are many manuals compared to autos etc
so what they say is rubbish
Swift nissan or Corolla the rest are rubbish

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 9:06am
Not sure I can really be of much help but I will do my best. I feel a bit like a kid that has been given $100 for his birthday but told he can only spend it on one thing from the $2 shop.

In other words you could have SO MUCH car for that much money its painful to have to pick from your list.

For me it would have to be between the Focus and Mazda 3. I would actually consider the Swift but it would have to be the new model and I think you may be struggling to find a manual one within budget.

Oddly enough I am actually seeing some almost well priced low km Corolla's about in the 12Kish bracket of late. So for once the value is sort of there in a way but they are still a "nothing" car. Fairly reliable but not particularly good at anything. Also, not really overly improved from 15 years earlier.

With the wingroad I just don't like the idea of buying a "global orphan" car, I just see them like the Mitsubishi L300, cheaply thrown together to fit a niche in Japan for a cheap new wagon.

So yeah,if it was me in your shoes I would go and find manual examples of the Focus, Swift and Mazda 3 at any price so the good woman can have a drive and then start looking for good deals on any of those 3 she likes.

Really though, if it WAS me I would insist she drive an Audi A3 2.0 even though she doesn't want one so at least she knows what she is missing out on. Mrs Jazz would probably pick an Alfa 159, which wouldn't be an entirely silly idea either (especially in Diesel) IMO.

The thing is you are intelligent and mechanically savy, like us you are in a position to enjoy some seriously nice vehicles and still have excellent reliability. Simply because you are capable of picking a good one, bringing the maintenance up to scratch and keeping it that way. Even on half your budget you could be enjoying something so much nicer than what you are considering.

Best of luck with it, whatever she choose's I hope she enjoys it, that's the main thing.

Hopefully the trolls won't take issue with what I have said and ruin your thread.

westwyn, Jan 31, 10:13am
Manual anything out of Japan is becoming harder to get now- and I have to say, as a former manual diehard myself, if you live in a metropolitan centre these days I simply cannot understand why you wouldn't just move to an automatic. I know I have- commuting in Auckland, I pretty soon got over my "manuals = car control, economy, like to drive, blah blah" and accepted a modern automatic or CVT (yes, most of them are now perfectly fine) is not only nicer to drive, there's not a whole lot in the whole economy thing- and unless it's a bit sporty, generally poorer resale. (And I speak from commercial experience here, not just wishful thinking- I can think of many "regular" cars we bought in manual form as something a little different, that sat, and sat, and sat. best intentions from buyers, yet none would ultimately open the chequebook- the auto version would win. Again, this excludes sporty cars, or unique vehicles etc).

So your choice is narrowed a little.

My personal favourite from your list is the Mazda Axela (sold as the Mazda 3 here). For your budget (at the top end) you should be able to get a 20S or 20C 5-door hatch in 5-speed form (there are a few more of these in manual form, than some of the others). No, not the BEST of the bunch, in terms of quality perhaps- but they're pretty good nonetheless, they look great, have a decent range of colours, good interiors, the 2-litre and 2.3 go really well- and you get stuff like the factory alloys, high-grade cloth seats,bodykits etc. And they drive well. You'll find plenty more 1.5's in your budget but they won't cut it if you like something with a little poke.

Caldinas are quite a lot bigger, and as far as being in manual, well. I just don't recall seeing a manual one (in the new shape). I'm sure they make them, at least the 1.8, but pretty rare.

No to the Focus.

For your budget you might find a manual Mazda Demio (or Mazda 2) Sport, the "new" generation (2007-) known as the DE-series. Might be slightly higher km, but the 1.5 Sport is actually a pretty cool car to pedal, and they're a reliable unit too.

Corollas of this generation and price range are a little bland- excellent cars, but a Blade wins hands down- but $ and manual = not for you.

Swift- too small perhaps!

Wingroad- sold here also in NZ new, although only the 1.8 version (Japanese got a choice of 1.5 or 1.8) are a very reliable vehicle, but in standard version, a little plain by comparison. If you could find a Rider edition though!

Best bet is to take the time to go out shopping- choose one of the larger dealerships in your region, non-franchise, probably import oriented, and just walk / look / ask questions. Do the dealer the courtesy of telling him you're not buying, just researching, so they know (a) not to worry about chasing you for a sale, (b) you're not "casing the joint" to steal a car, and (c) you're not alluding to buying, to get their attention, when you're not. Most dealers, when you tell them what you're doing, will be happy to let you wander, open and sit etc. Common courtesy- and they might impart some knowledge and wisdom on, too!

Good luck with the search!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 31, 10:35am
Just to clarify, (not having a go westwyn, I liked your post) the Wingroad while sold here is still a Global orphan. NZ and possibly some other little island markets got them. I would say because the used imports sold so well here.

This is not a huge issue but I do find the Wingroad grossly over hyped and well behind the game compared to proper global cars that have been developed with serious R & D money with fierce competition in mind. (I mean come on, who sells a serious new car with a 4 speed auto nowadays!)

Parts are probably never going to be too much of an issue (especially as most are shared with the Tiida etc)but the possibility is there with some bits.

Anyhow, see what you think, they just feel cheap and throw together to me. They are not terrible but I don't see why you would compromise for no reason.

kdcentralni, Jan 31, 6:43pm
My dealer mate stays away from manuals nobody wants them unless it's an 03 Hilux etc.

spasticlegs, Jan 31, 7:01pm
My two cents, we have a 08 swift sport. Now has 143,000kms of completely reliable motoring. In that time it has had 6 tyres, a set of spark plugs and services at 15,000kms only. Brake pads are less than half worn and we average 6.3ltrs per 100kms. Oh and yep, we've got the speeding tickets to show it doesn't get babied.
We will be updating it with a new model one at some stage this year.
My brother has a Mazda 3 and loves it. So far it also has been bombproof reliable.
Workmate has a Focus and she loves it but is currently having an issue with paint peal. Being a 2012 its still under warranty and I think Ford are dealing with the paint.
Like I said, just my two cents

freedomaira320, Jan 31, 8:13pm
A process of elimination. Swift and Demio out because they're too small (neither can be described as a large hatch or small wagon). Caldina out because it is too big and you won't find a manual. Wingroad out because it is an oddball.

Which leaves the top three, Focus, Mazda3 or Corolla. All good choices and a bonus of all being available NZ new. Just keep an eye out on all of them and when a good example at a good price in the colour you like comes up go for it.

kazbanz, Jan 31, 8:43pm
AD because you want manual I'd suggest you look at the corolla feilder wagon.1800vvti engine ,comfortable to drive. definitely a wagon so room in the back for "stuff" More importantly they seem to come up available in manual more regularly than wirngroads.
Have you looked at the Honda Fit/Jazz manual ! in my opinion it is middle ground between a wagon and a hatch back. Nice car

kazbanz, Jan 31, 8:44pm
PLEASE keep telling him he is APSOLUTELY RIGHT.