Death Wobble in 2005 to 2009 Jeep Wranglers.

Page 2 / 2
mm12345, Feb 6, 6:05pm
There's an issue with Nissan Safari/Patrol panhards and wheel shimmy.The rubber bushes (OEM) have the metal sleeve bonded to the rubber, the sleeve is held tight on the mount by washers/nut - so it's hard to see any evidence of free-play. The shimmy can be intermittent - the bush can be held tight enough by the nuts/washers to stay stable until you hit a bump etc, then it'll start up again.
Jack it under the diff, loosen the nuts on the bushes, and you can see that if there's a tiny amount of free-play in the bushes, it translates into a big movement in toe-in/out - look at the front wheels when you wobble it.At a certain speed - between 90 and 100km/h with the Patrol - it sets up and oscillates, but "goes away" above or below that speed.
Often misdiagnosed as balance/alignment or steering damper - but if everything else is okay you hardly need a damper on the road - you probably won't even notice if it's removed - it's more to stop the wheel getting wrenched out of your hands when off-road.Putting an extra-heavy steering damper in to get rid of shimmy is crooked thinking.

sundown, Feb 7, 11:32pm
http://rubicon4wheeler.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/jeep-falls-victim-to-death-wobble.html

Incidentally.I believe from reading alot about the Jeep Wrangler that they fixed the DW in the 2010 model.

sundown, Feb 8, 6:35am
I've have decided.when i can afford to upgrade.it will be to the 2010.not going to take any unnecessary risks on the earlier model!

strobo, Feb 9, 6:27am
Remember that stuff is designed and made for off road low speeds really ,
Getting onto open roadspeeds some dynamics interplay that can turn nasty for want of better words and give some grief.Not a high speed vehicle and i can give many reasons why .But jeep is jeep . nice truck :)