94/95 Jeep Cherokee - any good ?

-90-, Jan 29, 9:52am
Was looking to get a mitsi pajero or similar 4x4 for some weekend madness. However a few Jeep Cherokee's hav caught my eye. Some reviews are hit and miss! Some saying all good (American sites :D) others are saying they are scrap ! Looking at the 4.0 straight 6. Any owners on here !

Thanks.

thunderbolt, Jan 29, 9:58am
Nope, they are all at their second jobs to pay the fuel bills in their 4.0l jeeps.

chris_051, Jan 29, 10:18am
Had a few, never been let down, they go hard, pretty much bullet proof, a good base for light- medium 4x4ing. Cheap purchase price and easy to modify, a lot of parts out of the states, a lot cheaper than buying here. One of the more capable 4wds standard, not a lot without front or rear lockers will touch them off road.
I would definately own one again however if I buy another Jeep it'll be a wrangler for something different.
Beware a lot of people who will knock Jeeps have never driven one let alone owned one, basing their uninformed opinion on the badge.

horsepower7, Jan 29, 10:21am
expensive to fix. damin wing mirror!

richard198, Jan 29, 8:38pm
The Wrangler is good offroad and barebones/noisy on road.
I wouldn't go near any of the Cherokees. (Badly made and mostly unreliable.)(Not uninformed opinion, but based on the ones I have worked on and one that I have driven.)
(The President of Chrysler is on record as saying Chrysler reliability is bad.)
They look rugged and interesting though.

perry111, Jan 29, 10:39pm
iv got 1 95 xj,6 inch rough country lift 33inch mudders f##kn awsem off road woudnt buy 1 4 road use tho theyr crap even unmodifyd.mine gets thrashd have only had a transfer case output seal and diff axel seals 2 fix since iv ownd it.i bought it fully standard.

chris_051, Jan 29, 10:43pm
You have bagged the Cherokees in the past and I recall your 'experience'. The wranglers and Cherokees are pretty much the same mechanically so don't know how the Cherokees can be so much worse.

chris_051, Jan 29, 10:43pm
You have bagged the Cherokees in the past and I recall your 'experience' being fuck all. The wranglers and Cherokees are pretty much the same mechanically so don't know how the Cherokees can be so much worse.

haventrader, Jan 30, 3:37am
I sold my Cherokee in October. It was a '95 model, bought to "tow the boat", but was used for everything from shopping, to long sunday drives etc. Was a brilliant vehicle that never let me down. Sure, not light on fuel, but then neither is any other 4x4. Definitely recommended from my side!

mugenb20b, Jan 30, 4:23am
Come back when you learn how to spell.

perry111, Jan 30, 4:45am
get fuked no1 said you have 2 spell anything properly on here.if u dont like my spelling dont read it

mugenb20b, Jan 30, 4:48am
Well, that's the problem, I can't read "text speak", so your comment was very hard to follow. Remain ignorant if you must.

franc123, Jan 30, 10:37am
For what they cost to buy and for a weekend toy they are worth a punt. Only real weak point can be the auto trans if its been abused but that comment applies to hundreds of other models out there.axle bushes may need doing if they get used a fair bit offroad, likewise check for noisy diffs, especially the front one.

johnf_456, Jan 30, 6:21pm
I see spelling police.

r15, Jan 30, 6:35pm
The 2 people I know with them both reckon it costs them a fortune in fuel and excessive repairs

desmodave, Jan 30, 7:58pm
Can ya be a little more specific ie how many mpg and what are these excessive repairs you speak of.Like most used cars you buy they can be a lucky dip.Chose carefully some drive good some dont so test drive a few.

howie69, Jan 30, 8:05pm
I had a Grand Cherokee and loved it but the bills were expensive. Oxygen sensor went $700 plus to repair and had to wait seven days for the part. Diff pump was playing up, iron filings in diff oil. Had it flushed and was okay but the proposed cost for any further diff work had me trading in real quick. Good to drive, plenty of power handled well on Bilstein shocks (350NZ$ I imported these). I found parts cheap on Ebay and from US suppliers.

friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 8:55pm
of the few 1996 ish models 120 to 150Ks that i have test driven all have had issues.
Some of my observations have been, oil leaks, Clear coat peeling, wandering on the road, floaty suspension, radiators looked in need of replacing, etc.
I cant help but feel that some aftermarket parts would make a good difference to their reliabilty and handling. I do quite like them and will probably buy one myself if I can find a goody, but I do suggest you get any thing you are considering buying, throroughly checked out first and be prepared to spend some coin on some decent aftermarket parts for shocks etc.
Disclaimer: I am no mechanic. Just purely my thoughts from my own personal observations.

friendly_prawn, Jan 30, 8:55pm
of the few 1996 ish models 120 to 150Ks that i have test driven all have had issues.
Some of my observations have been, oil leaks, Clear coat peeling, wandering on the road, floaty suspension, radiators looked in need of replacing, etc.
I cant help but feel that some aftermarket parts would make a good difference to their reliabilty and handling. I do quite like them but suggest you get any thing you are considering buying, throroughly checked out first and be prepared to spend some coin on some decent aftermarket parts for shocks etc.
Disclaimer: I am no mechanic. Just purely my thoughts from my own personal observations.

liggy2, Jan 30, 8:57pm
Gas gobblers like pajeros-wouldnt touch with 40 foot pole and they do have issues.

richard198, Jan 30, 9:10pm
The main differences are the Wrangler has a shorter wheel base and a different chassis to the Cherokee. That's the reason why the Wrangler is better off road but cramped and uncomfortable on road.

desmodave, Jan 30, 10:23pm
Tell us what these issues are , would be helpfull for the original poster.

r15, Jan 30, 10:43pm
nah i cant, that was just the answer they gave me when i asked what it was like

omega12, Jan 30, 11:13pm
I have a '96 Cherokee Laredo. Love it, no problems and if you aren't heavy on the go pedal gas consumption is fine. Use it for long trips as well as off road (to get to work) and has never let me down. So, my experience is a good one.