Adding central locking to an older car. Worth it?

kiwikidd77, Feb 11, 8:07pm
I have a 1986 Daihatsu Mira LX and have thought about having central locking system installed. Also any idea on cost would be appreciated.

I'm not much on wiring and cars so would have to get someone to do the work.

The car is in good tidy condition.

mike1345, Feb 11, 8:12pm
I wouldn't bother personally. Then again, I have no problem with locking my car manually, I'm not that rushed for time.

tazcsv, Feb 11, 8:29pm
Its not hard to do and wont cost alot. most car sparkys or stereo installers will do it.

sas777, Feb 12, 1:27am
If you already own the electrical drivers or can get hold of the parts cheaply, yes the job can be done at reasonable cost. Having connections on the existing wiring loom will enable an auto sparky to simply plug wires in. If no wires exist, they will have to be installed. There are a few variables here, but really why do you want to do this! It's expenditure for no real gain

xpfairmont, Feb 12, 4:38am
I'd never fit it to my '66 or '69 Ford's. And sure as hell wouldn't let a "work shop" do it

jmma, Feb 12, 4:46am
On a Mira, just bang the roof and all the doors will lock (o;

pebbles61, Feb 12, 5:01am
Have thought about putting a central locking system on the Landcrab, but generally it's just the mrs and I, so don't really need it. Plus I wouldn't be able to hook up the boot so seems a little bit pointless.

crudeawakening, Feb 12, 5:07am
Im an auto sparky, can be more time consuming then these comments suggest. If your handy and have plenty of time go nuts, but usually by the time a customer brings it in for the final connections to be made, its a balls up hahaha. And xpfairmont; I laugh at howmany customers come in with a old falcon or whatever (nice all the same) but think because its different its gold plated. All cars have a steering wheel and pedals and Ive looked after faster, flasher and bigger cars then they usually own :)

phillip.weston, Feb 12, 5:14am
I put central locking into my old 2 door coupe. I used the remaining slave solenoids for the boot and petrol flap. All completely hidden of course. It helps give that modern ease of use you're usually familiar with.

skull, Feb 12, 5:18am
If you are paying to have it done it will probably equal a good percentage of the cars value to have it done. You could almost unlock every door in a Mira without even leaning in your seat, to me it's a lot of effort for not much advantage.

socram, Feb 12, 5:52am
More electronics = the potential for more problems.

No electronic locking for me.Having just built up a car and wired it from scratch, the only concessions to modernity are for rear parking sensors ($69) as judging the length with a small rear window, longish boot and a driver with a stuffed/stiff neck is a tough one; the other concession is electronic ignition for ease of maintenance.

pebbles61, Feb 12, 6:48am
Nothing wrong with that, if my had still had it's points when I bought her I would have changed it to electronic, makes life a lot easier from what I can tell.

scuba, Feb 12, 9:50am
I fitted central locking in my 87 nissan bluebird years ago.problem is you have to run all the wiringdrill holes and fit all the door lock solenoids .
I only did it cos i was tired of the kids leaving the doors unlocked when they got out of the time and i also fitted an alarm . mainly for the remotes only cost me $80 for parts and an hours labour forsparky to fit alarm.

door lock solenoids have lasted about 5 years but are having the occasional glitch but what do you expect for a $40 door lock kit!> may need to replace one or two.