Getting a car re registered ?before paint

merrigj, Feb 11, 1:46am
I am restoring a 1967 Fait Bambina.I tried to get it on the road 10 years ago and it failed due to corosion.They gave me instructions of what I had to do but I didn't go any further and just stored it.

I am now going to get all the corosion cut out and replacement panels fitted by a panelbeater.

So my questions are
1) Will they still have a record of what the problems were from 10 years ago.
2) Is there a way to get the car's body passed inspection before it is painted and reassembled.

Last thing I want to do is get it a proffessional paint job then be asked to take it back to bare metal to check everything is done properly.Ta.

joanie32, Feb 11, 3:36am
get a certifier involved before you do anything. Assuming it is deregistered that is

darryl, Feb 11, 3:41am
Rust repair work for a revin needs to have a signed form by a suitably qualified inspector. They will inspect car when its in primer and if all ok, give you a signed compliance sheet to take with you for the re-vin inspection etc.

merrigj, Feb 11, 3:53am
Thanks guys makes sense that it is inspected before painted.I wonder how many paint jobs get ruined if this isn't done.

Yes it needs to be revinned.

joanie32, Feb 11, 3:58am
get it lookedat prior to starting. dont assume anything isgoing to be acceptable to the guy signing the report, no matter howwell its done or whos done it.

darryl, Feb 11, 4:15am
Good idea

gunhand, Feb 11, 4:15am
As above as well.Have quailty photos taken before during and afterthe process.
Don't put any filler in before showing certifier itll make it alll easier.
make sure you have evidence as well of ownership and previous rego if possable, again it will make it easier when time comes to put on road.
Do it once do it right. There have been people caught out with newly painted cars and then have to prove what ws done, but hard when its shiny lol.

merrigj, Feb 11, 4:58am
Do you mean contact a engineer who will sign the work off and ask them how it should be done so they can instruct the panelbeater what is acceptable!

monaro_xxx, Feb 11, 5:05am
as above, good before and after photos and talk to your local re-vinning person before you start work, most (I say MOST!) of them are very helpful.

merrigj, Feb 11, 5:21am
We seem to regard them as the enemy but best to have them on your side.Will have a chat to one cheers for the advice.

joanie32, Feb 11, 5:27am
Unfortunately yes. Thats how ive had to do it. Have heard a few horror stories about folk who assumed all would be ok, until the little nazi turned up

kazbanz, Feb 11, 5:59am
merrigj -Theres a list of repair certifiers on the LTNZ site somewhere.
I can personally recommend Impact Certifiers because he talks plain english as to what he wants and needs to sighn the work off.
I'd strongly suggest that as a first step You clean all the metal parts back to bare shiney metal so he can see what state the car is actually in.
With a bambina having a lot of bolt on parts it might be best to just remove the really bad stuff and have the replacements for him to see.
Keep in mind-theres no time limit with a certifier whereas you only have 28 days to get the car up to scratch once its presented to compliance.
The great part about working WITH a certifier is that you CAN present the car as a finished product for compliance complete with engineers paperwork they will then pass that part of the car off.-Then its just brakes/indicators/steering etc to pass

merrigj, Feb 11, 6:10am
Thanks really good to know there is no time limit as I want to put her back together carefully not rushed.Will be a case of removing rusted panels and replacing.