FM transmitter keeps blowing the fuse!

jae.p, Feb 12, 2:57am
Hey, I have a rather cheap FM trasmitter I bought off TM as my stereo has noaux point for my iphone (the stereo is the original for the vehicle). The fm transmitter was fine for I would say 6 months or so then one day it blew the fuse (the fuse for the stereo, dash board clock and lighter) oit was an easy fix and then I put the FM transmitter in again and it blew it again! Im getting it fixed again this week and will be throwing out the transmitter. But does any more know of a good FM transmitter model that will not do this! Or are they all prone to blowing fuses! Or perhaps another solution to be able to play my iphone. I don't know anything about cars so im LOST!

stevel_knievel, Feb 12, 3:28am
x1
Usually they've got a fuse in the cigarette lighter plug that blows before the main fuse blows. I suppose if it was a cheap unit, they may have skimped on that - you can check by unscrewing the end of the plug. If you're after a cheap one, just make sure it's got that protection. I've got a Dicksmith one I purchased years ago that going strong, otherwise if you're after a brand name Belkin Tunecast are ok.

jae.p, Feb 13, 12:48am
Awesome, will look into that thanks stevel_knievel

johnf_456, Feb 13, 1:52am
Also make sure the kids have not pushed anything into the socket that may short the plug out.

jae.p, Feb 13, 9:46pm
I haven't got kids, but the previous owners of the car did so I will have a look. Thanks