New Car Purchase

ridgeline, Mar 2, 8:33am
Hi,
New to purchasing a new car from a Dealer - approx value mid thirties
What would you expect to negotiate the price and on road costs down by. Or what would you try and include in the deal - tow bar etc
Will be a cash buyer - however with a vehicle of about $5000 to trade.

andrew1954, Mar 2, 8:44am
Being a "cash buyer" will hold no thrill for the dealer. what he would really like is you to enter into a finance agreement throu them. so they can "click the ticket".
If you sold the trade-in car yourself what would you realistisly get for it !if it would be less than $5,000 then the difference is essense a discount already.The trade in car is basically a nuisance to them
You could try for a tow bar & wiring. it is worth a try

tmenz, Mar 2, 6:54pm
If you really want to see the dealer wince, ask for a full tank of fuel.

countrypete, Mar 2, 7:34pm
Some brands include full on road costs in the price; registration, wof and a full tank of gas - Suzuki certainly and Honda perhaps!

Dealers usually have a lesser margin in new cars than used, so the ability to negotiate on a new car is usually less.Also most new car purchases are cash - most people buying new don't need finance, so that's a red herring.

Your best bet is to look towards the end of the month, when the dealer has to achieve sales targets, and March is best because the annual target, and sometimes distributor bonuses kick in, meaning that each extra sale in that month can be worth more to the dealer.

Make a list of any extras you may want, such as towbar, floor mats, GPS, seat covers etc.Get the retail price of those items so that you know the value you are negotiating, then see what can be thrown in.

You should also get two prices from the dealer - one for cash/no trade, and the other being the difference price if you trade your existing car.That difference figure will tell you the true value the dealer puts on your tradein, and you then have the opportunity to sell it privately or give it to family etc. if you consider it's too low.

It really depends on the make and model of new car you are considering.Some will have a higher potential for discount - eg Toyota or Mitsubishi, and others will have very little "room" eg Honda, Suzuki.

I haven't really answered your question, but it's a bit like "how long is a piece of string"

hpaul, Mar 2, 7:58pm
Depends on a lot of things.

Honda have a complete 'No Haggle' policy.

Mini only gave $500 off of my new Mini, poor haggling on my part, you'll get a better deal now because they buy them much more cheaply.

Ford gave $14,000 discount on a new V8 ute to stop me crossing the road to Holden (who also offered offered $14,000 off).

Toyota gave me a similar amount off of a new Hiace ($36,000 otr) because they have up to 25% margin to play with.

VW gave 9% discount on a new Golf GTI and offered 12% discount on any new T5 van. Oddly they declined my $130,000 offer for a new V8 TDI Touareg (rrp $139,500)

Subaru sold me a new WRX for $4000 under RRP. That took a while.

None of these deals were on the spot, they took time and a few days of polite negotiation.

What car are you thinking of buying!

ridgeline, Mar 2, 8:24pm
Thankyou - there are some very helpful comments here. We have not finally decided on our choice.

hpaul, Mar 2, 8:38pm
What are your choice(s) then!

It'll help with your query if you narrow down your prospective purchase.

bluetrade, Mar 2, 11:54pm
Interesting. we secured a few grand off a vehicle at a Honda dealership in order to stop us going up the road to toyota.Was very pleased, as that then made it around $10k cheaper than anywhere else we'd been.the difference for the sales person being that they had too many of that model on site and needed to get rid of some.

That being said, our *local* Honda wouldn't play ball at all.

hpaul, Mar 3, 12:04am
Was that a used car!

Here's Honda's quotes on new cars:

"We promise to give all new car buyers the same fair price."

Our Values
What this means for new car buyers
Equity
Because we give everyone the same fair price, you are not at a disadvantage to Government, large corporates and rental car companies who have greater purchasing power.

Transparency:
So how do you know if your deal was as good as anyone elses'! At Honda there is no wondering, as you know everyone paid the ticket price.
Consistency:
"Run out deal!" "Everything must go!" "Fire Sale!" may sound great when you are in the market for buying, but if you just bought last week, how does that make you feel! What do you think happens to the resale value of your new car when you are ready to sell! You needn't worry with Honda as we work hard to maintain stable pricing.
Value for Money:
Safe, comfortable, stylish and feature rich, with Honda you get a high technology car for a reasonable price.