Recommendation for family car

lizshady, Mar 26, 6:51pm
Hi there, wonder if I can tap into some of your expertise!We're a new family, and desperately need a new car - currently driving a two door '95 Toyota Tercel, and while bubba is in a capsule it's fine, but once we transition to car seat it's going to be difficult if not impossible to get him in and out!Thing is, our budget is fairly limited - max 5K.Our criteria is we'd like something with four doors, leg room in the back, enough boot space for a stroller and shopping, economical for zipping around town with the occasional journey out.Body style doesn't matter, would prefer something that's done 150,000ks on the clock or less, and being a single income family something that'll be easy to maintain.Ideally we'd like to be able to grow into this car, fitting at least two kiddies in it.We like the look of the Nissan Tino and the Toyota Nadia, however hard to find a Tino without the CVT and Nadia without the D4 engine, all of which I've heard are no good.Thanks in advance!

curlcrown, Mar 26, 7:44pm
A family car can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Will it be used mainly in town with stop start driving or mainly on the motor ways and long trips! Will it ever be used for towing! One thing i would say though is do not put to much importance on the mileage. You'd be better off with a nice tidy new Zealand new latter model well maintained car than an older poorly maintained car with low mileage, all other things being equal.

daryl14, Mar 26, 8:16pm
Always consider the ride height when thinking about how you will have to lift baby capsules and later on small children in and out of the doors while parked in a narrow mall car park etc. A higher vehicle is much more comfortable on your back just in that regard alone.

In some cars (like Honda CRV) you can shimmy/walk through to the rear seat to tend to your devil spawn without having to get out of the car into the pouring rain. And of course you need a big boot for the strollers and immense bags of crap that you will carry about.

intrade, Mar 26, 8:17pm
you realise its 2013 now 95 are almost dinosaurs and 150,000km for a almost 20 year old car is real low milage probably got problems like rotten mufflers and other short run issues over its live doing so little in sutch a long time.for 5 grand i would probably look for a camry station wagon get it for less and save the money for repair you can renew half the car for a few grand like clutchkit is 180$ for one of these and box dont has to be removed to do the clutch rest of parts are cheap also. only problem is hidden oil leaks at back of engine like oilpumps but nothing a few grand with labour to replace any oil seal wont fix.

lizshady, Mar 26, 10:17pm
Hmm interesting, I always assumed that high k's meant not as good ie. more engine wear, but then again if its well maintained you're right - my Tercel for instance has done 230000+ but is a good wee runner that'll last a few more years yet I reckon!Food for thought.It'd be used both stop starting and on motorways, hardly ever out of town.No towing.

wifiabc, Mar 27, 1:49am
How about Toyota Raum or Ipsum! The Raum has a sliding door which makes it easy to get in and out for passengers.

bmwnz, Mar 27, 2:56am
Speaking from experience, I'd be looking at a station wagon, as intrade suggests.

freesia, Mar 27, 4:14am
I would go for some kind of a toyota station wagon .

gammelvind, Mar 27, 6:49am
We have a Nadia with the D4 engine, yes we have had a couple of issues, the biggest was a persistant miss. I have decoked the complete inlet manifold and throttle body, now running it only on 98 it is running very nicely.
Apart from that issue the car has been a treat, just great for carrying family around in comfort.
If you take one for a test drive see if there is a miss when the eco light is on and you are running with a very light throttle, then it needs a decoke.

lizshady, Mar 27, 8:49am
Thank you all for your suggestions :)

lizshady, Mar 27, 8:50am
gammelvind - what is a "persistent miss" and "decoking"!Not a car person I'm afraid!

fordcrzy, Mar 28, 6:15am
get a toyota fielder

toyboy3, Mar 28, 6:53am
get a nissan expert

nzdoug, Mar 28, 7:26am
VW Passat Variant TDI B6

tuttyclan, Mar 28, 8:49am
The Civics 1600 cc engine is very economical around town( around 7.5 to 8.5 litres per 100km and has plenty of power for the open road specially in manual form (around 6.5 to 7.5 litres per 100km.Acceptable room inside and in the boot.(I used to own a 1997 Civic LXi )(I sold the Civic because mine was a three door hatch and I have a growing family so changed over to the four door Accord.
The Honda Accord is a little bigger with its 2200 cc engine.Costs a little more on fuel than a Civic but is ok around town (around 9 to 10 litres per 100km) and on the open road is excellent at about 7 to 8 litres per 100 km)
I currently own a 1997 Honda Accord VTi Auto which I have had for nearly 10 years and loving it.One day I would like to get a 2003 plus Accord Euro but for now my Accord is serving me well with its power,economy and great driving pleasure and most importantly reliabilty.
All of these cars run on 91 octane also.

guest, Sep 25, 8:21am
Thanks Andrew for the comment, tliehlrd that you have found our little blog The new edition is great we bought it at the NBA conference, it has some much better info about mites and other changes in the NZ bee keeping world.It does seem to have more great photos as well. Highly recommend everyone buy a copy.Thanks Gary

guest, Sep 26, 4:33pm
Hey are you guys DECA certified? Just got my Certificate of inoscetipn to be returned by 30th November and need someone to sign it off for me. There will be a meal in it for you or beers or whatever! Guess you are okay for honey though haha

guest, Sep 28, 2:00pm
There's no speculation about it .. Prime's been sinhwog Peter Davis kiss a little old man on the lips as part of this particular trailer all week.Is it our 'right' to know? Probably not. But regardless of it being right or wrong, when you're in the public eye that's just the way it is. Personally I don't give a toss as to the PM's sexuality. (She'd leave me cold either way). But what I find irritating is her blatant hypocrisy. She's not being honest about it for political reasons. There's still a lot of older Kiwis who vote Labour because Dad idolised Mickey, who might vote otherwise if her sexual preference wasn't to their liking.I despise hypocrisy.