Vw, nz cars have cheat software

Page 2 / 2
butterfly05, Oct 6, 3:38am
Nissan would obviously be concerned about Renaults diesel side of things being hit but for Nissan they only build a small number of diesels in house and most of their efficiency tech is actually focused on hybrid. I doubt its of THAT great a concern to them TBH. All nissan has to do is move Renault over to Hybrid tech aswell if diesel's go down the gurgler.

What Ghosn is getting at to me is not to follow the US down these blind paths that will suit the US economy and nobody elses. The US only really produces large capacity diesels and even Nissan is using a Cummins diesel v8 in next years Titan truck in america.

VW was clearly encroaching on the US market with small capacity diesel engines and trying to insert diesel as the flavour of the month. This is what happens when you mess with the big dogs.

tamarillo, Oct 6, 3:51am
Renault, psa group, vag, and BMW all have up to the minute downsized petroleum engines. Little three bangers with turbos that give that diesel punch folk like but are light weight, rev out, and sound good. Surely buyers will just switch to petrol.

vtecintegra, Oct 6, 3:55am
What?

VW diesel sales in the US were minuscule in the scheme of things

butterfly05, Oct 6, 4:01am
No $hit, VW was trying to muscle into that market!

bjmh, Oct 6, 4:03am
3 sets of beads,some trinkets and 2 blankets. awww throw in a musket or 2.

vtecintegra, Oct 6, 4:07am
What makes you think that? Their diesel sales certainly haven't been significantly increasing

butterfly05, Oct 6, 4:27am
I dont know if they were significantly increasing (they certainly arent now LOL) and I dont know how you know what your claiming one way or the other but look here:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20130806/OEM06/130809913/vw-plans-global-diesel-for-u.s.-in-2015

Through July, the Volkswagen brand has sold 47,000 diesels in North America, or 78 percent of all car diesels.

Sounds like a few to me. When you have 78% market share in one segment then id say your dominating that segment of car sales wouldnt you?

vtecintegra, Oct 6, 4:32am
Sure because no one else is selling diesel cars in the USA because they couldn't figure out how to meet the emissions standards without urea (which the model in the article is equipped with anyway)

intrade, Oct 6, 4:44am
https://www.rt.com/usa/316846-elon-musk-fossil-fuels-dead/
the thing is there is to much power and greed behind fossile fuel lobby , they will find a way to sweep things under the carpet. after all the americans fight all these wars for oil. maybe all the greenies will end in guantanamo so they can keep selling phossile fuels.
They sure have to dream up some more bullox now.
Maybe tell everyone that the new cars have to use 50 liters per 100km for the greater good of the inviroment or something.
that would be where the saudis would rubing there hands if that was anounced.

mm12345, Oct 6, 5:14am
I hate to say it (because I'm no prius fan) but an atkinson cycle normally aspirated petrol engine is more efficient (energy conversion) than other petrol engines, and with energy recovery, petrol hybrids could be the only ones to offer genuinely low emission levels in "real life" tests - at least for city driving cycles.

mm12345, Oct 6, 5:22am
The US models sold were 2009 - 2103 with NOx trap catalytic converters, 2013 on they had selective catalytic converters (with Adblue).
Both failed EPA test - when "emissions defeat" wasn't enabled.

For other markets, VW seem to be saying that the later models with Adblue can (be made to?) meet emissions standards, perhaps for Europe (and thus for here). There's conflicting information out there though.
Wait and see.

brapbrap8, Oct 6, 5:31am
Really?
I have found it quite easy to match or beat the claimed fuel economy in nearly every vehicle I have driven, and I drive a lot more vehicles than the average person.

If manufacturers lie about fuel consumption then it is easy for the public to work it out, and that results in class action law suits which has happened to Hyundai/Kia, so I think most people find that their cars actually do achieve pretty much what the manufacturer states in careful driving.

Emissions are much easier to cheat on though, as outside of America, emissions testing is virtually non existant. Joe average will have no idea how much pollution their cars make as it is not easily testable in the same way that fuel economy is.

mm12345, Oct 6, 5:38am
Note that class action was in US.
There's a huge discrepancy between EPA economy figures and Euro economy figures for the same model cars sold in both markets.
EPA figures are typically 25-40% higher fuel use than the Euro ones.
It's not just the Euro owned makers - take at look at Ford Kuga UK model and US model, convert to l/100km, and there's a big difference. If you could meet the claimed economy figure they're being sold with in the UK, you'd deserve a halo. Google UK forums, and you'll see that owners like the cars, but are often totally p1ssed that they can't get even close to the stated mileage out of them.
The euros are often selling their cars here using totally ridiculous economy figures.
There is no free lunch.

tamarillo, Oct 6, 5:41am
You used the P word.
Here.
On a motoring forum.
Oh god what next.

mm12345, Mar 20, 5:39pm
What' s next?
Invoking Godwin's law by blaming Hitler for this VW debacle.