Collectable cars that will drop in value

Page 1 / 4
magoo2, Jan 24, 5:33am
There are a number of collectable cars that are sought after by people of a certain age and type.As these people grow too old to drive and sell off their cars,there will not be a pool of younger collectors who want these cars.What cars do you think have peaked in value and will drop in value quickly.!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 5:46am
E Type Jaguars have already come down a lot, theres a past example that adds weight to your theory!

I think the Holden Torana/GT Falcon type stuff will eventually crash something horrible. The cars were not that rare/significant/expensive/han-
d crafted to start with and are elevated to ridiculousness prices purely because they were the boyhood dreams of a generation that now has some cash.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 5:46am
Snap! lol

nave12, Jan 24, 6:35am
These Falcon GT's,cobras,toranas,monaro-
s etc have a huge heritage in NZ and Aussie and may also be as you stated(Falcon GT) but if there are people with a few hundred grand that feels like lolly money spare in their pocket and desire some classic machinery then why the hell not.I also don't see the prices crashing as suggested only dropping a bit.The more rarer they become with garage fires,accidents,being stolen etc the price can and most probably will stay high,don't ever under estimate that type of heritage there is out there as you will be proven very wrong.

rob_man, Jan 24, 6:44am
You have to look back a bit further to get an idea of what will happen to the prices, find something close to an equivalent from 20 years earlier and see if the value has dropped.
A Hudson Hornet for example.

socram, Jan 24, 7:07am
Its not the number of younger people, its the number of people with vast wealth who collect cars on a grand scale.

There is no shortage of those and watch out for a massive move into the classic market from the wealthy Chinese.Don't underestimate the Japanese continued love affair for Euro stuff and some may diversify into Aussie Muscle.Just about anything that is mint will find a buyer - eventually.

There have been spikes when greedy people borrowed heavily to 'invest' and got their fingers burned but it did push up prices - for a while.

The last affordable/cheapest E type Jaguar I saw advertised, was about $54,000 - which is still 12 times its original cost price in 1962 and I doubt you'll find many straight road legal runners much cheaper.

craig04, Jan 24, 7:07am
Hopefully the Valliant Chargers will come down. I could see myself in one of those.

brokebloke1, Jan 24, 7:08am
falcon GTs, Monaros, and Chargers are all ready dropping in price over in Oz
Shannons Auction house had a reserve price of $180,000
on a XWGTHO that was a 2 owner but with 38000miles on it
it didnt even reach reserve was passed in at $127,000.
A E49 charger had a price in Sydney car dealers of wanting $79,000
was sold after owner neededmoney due to stock market crash, for
$50,000.
I think its going to happen here soon, its only a mattter of time.

foxdonut, Jan 24, 7:11am
Pretty much any Japanese car in the last 30 years.

roys351, Jan 24, 7:14am
once people have surplus cash again they will go back up mine are for me more than investment anyway

craig04, Jan 24, 7:21am

foxdonut, Jan 24, 7:27am
Being a limited run from 40 years ago and having a reputation for being the only good looking car to ever come out of Japan the GT is already a collectors item, like a Merc Gullwing or a Ferrari 250GT. I think this thread is aimed more at the cars that will be desirable from more recent times.

(Personally I'm making my assumption from about the 90's onwards.)

magoo2, Jan 24, 7:32am
You are making a wrong assumption

craig04, Jan 24, 7:34am
I know. But I'm for ever hopeful that in the next 12 months they will plummet in value to 5-10k (don't fancy my chances). I think they are stunning.

chris_051, Jan 24, 7:35am
Too bad it was the fastest 4dr around and one of the quickest back in the day.

petermcg, Jan 24, 7:36am
It depends how you look at it, we see a lot of cars advertised, and a lot over priced, these ones will come down for sure. Any thing realistically priced will hold its value.

neville48, Jan 24, 7:43am
"as these people, of a certain age and type,grow too old to drive and sell off their cars" Is that you ya ole zed car bodgie.

wrong2, Jan 24, 7:45am
the SurferRoo changed hands last year for a record amount

wrong2, Jan 24, 7:47am
if you want a laugh , look at what blue meanies are being asked for

franc123, Jan 24, 7:58am
Sixties Mustangs must be due for a crash of their own surely, there has been large numbers of these imported in the last ten or so years, how many people REALLY want one and are willing to pay $30K plus for a standard 65-69 notchback!They sure as hell don't drive any better than a XR-XY Falcon, aren't especially pretty to look at and are certainly far more common in the marketplace than Aussie Fords/Chryslers of the era, and probably Holdens too, and of course were made in far greater numbers than any of those cars when they were new.

horsygirl, Jan 24, 8:01am
the baby boomers have over fueled this market as they have their mid life crisis.this market will dry up as the surrender their licenses for walking frames.

woody1946, Jan 24, 8:16am
Often wondered who's going to end up with all the vintage stuff from the 1920s-1930s as a lot of owners are now in the 70-80 age group. A lot of these old cars are real scary to drive in modern traffic. I predict it will get like Europe and they will all end up in a museum

rayzor14, Jan 24, 8:20am
Frankly I think anything that wasnt collectable to begin with.
As an example.
A genuine GTHO Falcon was a limited production variant.I believe it has and will always have huge value.
An XY Falcon in good tidy condition with 351 and a whole pile of bits that look "GTesque" right now is batting WAY above the odds for price.I dont think it will last.

In similar vain.
A genuine GTR XU1 Torana.always fantastic money
An LC or LJ Torana in good condition.too close to the pricing of an average GTR XU1 to hold its value up there forever.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 8:27am
Its already happening, not many Veterens at the Vintage rally's now even the proper Vintages are drying up.

Pity. they are an experience to be treasured. I grew up being carted around the country in the back of a Model A.

I think its a hoot too that they get picky over a minor brake imbalance on my modern but you go to these things and see the odd nutter with an Aero engined vintage racer with only brakes on the rear. all perfectly legal!

craig04, Jan 24, 8:34am
Don't get Jazz started on the baby boomers. LOL