Parts prices.grrr.

Page 1 / 2
trogedon, May 20, 5:59am
Coil for the 206. Peugeot genuine in NZ, $330, generic in NZ $500 +, generic from Aussie $85 + post. Why the difference in $?!

intrade, May 20, 6:02am
so why do you want a coil ? would be my first question id like answerd.

kazbanz, May 20, 6:10am
and that's one of four isn't it?
--go to the guys on Lincoln road -opposite pac n save in behind wash a world. Tell em I sent you .

poppy62, May 20, 6:25am
The Citroen equivalent will probably be cheaper too. Lots on ebay. Wreckers? *AAWreckers.

jmma, May 20, 6:36am
First it was Injector, now coil!
If this car is playing up on first start up, change the oil to spec 0w50, that will fix it.
Well it sorted my brothers one after everyone else had a go (o;
But anyway he now has new plugs, new coil pack etc .

mephismeltdown, May 20, 7:02am
sell it and buy a diesel discovery.

poppy62, May 20, 7:07am
Hi mate, still in wellies down Welly way? Hope camp jmma is all AOK. I've got money on your brothers 406 outlasting your Collarollorollory thing.

robotnik, May 20, 7:14am
Good luck trying to return your aftermarket foreign bought part if it is the wrong part or faulty. No CGA protection or indeed any buyer protection there.

trogedon, May 20, 8:01am
The guy (see reply to Kaz) has used China sourced ones in the past and not had a problem with them. At the cost c.f. the $500 they're worth the risk.

trogedon, May 20, 8:03am
All prices are for the 4 - its a one piece part. It is at Redwood Park Autos. Lee's a good guy. I'll mention you.

intrade, May 20, 8:18am
do you fix whatches also by swaping random parts?

trogedon, May 20, 9:15am
Necessity is the mother of invention, so yes, yes I do.

jmma, May 20, 10:18am
All fine and sunny here thanks poppy. W will see about the 406, I have 25 years and 265,000km and still counting for it to match. (o:

tamarillo, May 20, 10:28am
Yep, that's just darn right stupid. Too much to justify.

mrfxit, May 20, 10:30am
Back shocks for my 96 Nissan Caravan.
Quoted over the ph prices varied from $140 pair to $163 each single shocky.
About 6 different parts shops.
Wreckers either didn't have any or couldn't be bothered looking or did look but couldn't be bothered matching up a set from other models.
Had to be exact same model apparently. :-(.

The $140 pair ended up being a heavier duty model then the OEM units

mrfxit, May 20, 10:31am
Hell yes.
If the spare bits are still in good condition, then why not?

trogedon, May 20, 10:35am
Good job.

jason_247, May 20, 11:04am
what year is it.

i priced an ignition cassette at supercheap for a 1.6l and it was around $250
2.0l version was about $320. and thats not chinese shit either its made in aussie

intrade, Dec 6, 6:10am
bump here is one thread of a pile of shite plenty more if you use search function on left

tamarillo, Dec 6, 6:27am
Eh?

djrandomguy, Dec 6, 10:49am
two words intrude - Nissan Skyline, they sh*t coils all day everyday. Also 2001 called, it want's it's distrust for European cars back.

friendly_prawn, Dec 6, 7:13pm
Hiya Troggy, how you doing mate?
I went to buy a part for our VW polo when we used to own one from Repco. When the lady quoted me the price, I just laughed at her and said no way. Her reply, well what do you expect, it an Euro. :-)

extrayda, Dec 6, 11:23pm
Really? I never had to replace coils on my Skyline. Did have to do one on my VQ25 Cefiro, but that was at about 190,000ks if I remember rightly. Got a full second hand set for $80, swapped one in - magic. Discovered the rest of them after I had already sold the car, and I think I sold them for $50 (missing the one I used). Bargain. New price from Nissan was something obscene though, and they wanted to do all 6. Same with wing mirrors - I think Nissan wanted $400 for a wing mirror for that car.

socram, Dec 7, 2:54am
Weak excuse, when you can usually buy most Euro stuff off the shelf in Europe and get them posted or couriered to NZ for a fraction of the local price. I have no idea why but not a good look for local retailers always bleating on about people buying from overseas. What do they expect?

It even applies to magazines. I have recently dumped buying my grossly overpriced overseas magazines from the local shop and taken out annual subscriptions for half the price, delivered straight to the mailbox.

I suspect that the real villains are wholesalers who seem to think it is OK to expect a retail percentage profit margin.

extrayda, Dec 7, 3:06am
To be fair, it's not just euro's.
When I had my Chev V8, it was often a lot cheaper to bring in parts from the states or even Australia. From memory I think MSD6AL from the states, along with suitable MSD Dizzy. B&M Shifter from Aus, with the added bonus of the gear indicator being in the right place. Some other parts were cheaper to get from Rare Spares Australia than New Zealand (rubber kit for doors / glass). This was quite a few years back, may be better now.
It certainly did seem that there was a huge mark-up for NZ.