Clutch repair - price check.

floydbloke, Dec 23, 5:58am
Took my son's Honda Civic, 1996, 1.6L to the garage to get repaired. They had to replace both the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. I didn't give the price a huge amount of thought because I was just pleased they could fit it in before the holiday break. Before I divulge what I paid, what do folks here think would be reasonable for this work(parts & labour)?

morrisman1, Dec 23, 6:10am
I think by the time it was diagnosed, fitted, bled and tested it would be around 2 hours, maybe up to three at a push. Parts would be on top of that but I cant see parts being much more than $100

differentthings, Dec 23, 6:19am
$80 a hour x 2-3 max
$120 parts
$20 fluild
add gst etc
About $3-$400

fordcrzy, Dec 23, 6:30am
i reckon the parts were more so about 550-600?

floydbloke, Dec 23, 6:32am
Thanks. Paid $345 in total which seems reasonable in that case
$108 - master cylinder
$46 - slave cylinder
$10 - hydraulic fluid
$16 - cleaning fluid
$120 - labour
$45 - GST

franc123, Dec 23, 8:44am
That's very reasonable, some master cylinders in particular can be fiddly to remove, made worse by the fact standing on your head in the drivers footwell is needed.

phillip.weston, Dec 26, 12:10am
labour seems cheap but they definitely are making a killing on the hydraulic fluid and 'cleaning fluid'. The clutch master and slave could have been cheaper too. But I guess they have to make their money some how.

To be honest replacing the master and slave cylinders on that era Civic is quite easy and perhaps something you could have tackled with your son showing him what to do (assuming you are slightly mechanically minded and have a few tools available). I know I would have done the job myself and saved $200-300.

elect70, Dec 26, 2:20am
Prety reasonable price for a master cylinder , costs more to get 1 resleved

cheapy11, Apr 24, 1:08am
Making a killing? LoL
post #3 quoted $20 for fluids & the OP paid $26. Hardly a killing!

Also "But I guess they have to make their money some how.". well no sh*t sherlock!
After all they are a business & have to pay their bills and put bread on the table just like you & I, which is bloody ahrd if you don't make money!

OP I dont know what it would cost but based on the above you seem like you got a good deal from you mechanic and at short notice. Make sure you tell them your happy!