Sellers who deal before auction closes.

Page 1 / 2
toyboy3, Aug 31, 12:40am
It looks like someone got off their bum and went and looked at the car and waved the money .Which is better than hopefuls waiting .

richynuts, Aug 31, 12:44am
I do see the sellers point though often no one comes to veiw and waits to the last minute to score a deal, if you really want it throw in your best bid then go have a look at the car if possible then if it's not what you want just get your bid removed. I know its frustrating but if you want it you need to bid your best price.

desmodave, Aug 31, 1:06am
We will keep an eye on the seller to make sure they don't make a habit of it .
Its some what annoying when the reserve is meet and you have the leading bid . Their phone number is there if you feel like giving them a call in the middle of the night if its keeping you awake like .

kazbanz, Aug 31, 1:13am
My view on this subject is that trade me is only an advertising medium, Nothing more or less.
pay your money and place your advert. The point of advertising is to sell your goods.
The way people have elevated TM to some sort of psudo legislative organisation annoys the beejeebers out of me

sw20, Aug 31, 1:30am
He is paying the listing fee and the withdrawl fee so TM don't care.

tgray, Aug 31, 2:21am
I get the feeling he enjoyed telling more than one potential bidder it sold '5 mins ago'!

tony9, Aug 31, 3:31am
Perfectly acceptable for this to happen with a vehicle. Trademe allows contact details to be published, so potential buyers can see it (and negotiate a deal). Car auction listing is largely paid up front so they are covered.

Most real life auctions are subject to sale before auction closes.

gpg58, Aug 31, 3:48am
Totally agree, jerks that fail to honor the spirit of a $1 reserve need to be banned for a period. If i bid on something, rules say i am legally obliged to buy, and same goes for sellers selling, when reserve is met.
Maybe i should just put my phone number on my auctions and sell if someone wants to pay more in person?
Just joking, i would never do that, but if its ok for one person without any penalty, i fail to see how it would be wrong for me to copy.

msigg, Aug 31, 3:50am
Good on him, as said above this is a viewing platform , The only ones complaining are those that missed out. A bird in the hand?.

tgray, Aug 31, 3:57am
No it's not, and is against Trademe rules.
$1 reserve auctions must not be pulled prior to close of auction.

mainlander05, Aug 31, 4:04am
Well to be honest.its just as well you didn't buy it.no Kappa needs a water pump at 80 KS.you will save heaps.IMHO.

tamarillo, Aug 31, 4:53am
Well seems to be split two ways for and against.
TM makes it clear it's a auction to be honoured, there is no offer system. Just like winner is obliged. On a house it's open to offer before auction starts, just like TM allows buy now until reserve met.
What if I'd have invested in getting it checked, honouring the auction? Makes it hard to be serious about a car.

tamarillo, Aug 31, 4:56am
Don't agree with that. They're only open before auction starts, not once bidding is going. TM allows buy now until reserve in same way but that's not what seller chose.

trad, Aug 31, 5:13am
If TM is not taking action against a seller 'pulling the car after the red flag is up,' it seems reasonable for an auction winner not to be obliged to buy the car. What is good enought for a seller must surely apply to a buyer.

extrayda, Aug 31, 5:37am
Agree with this, if I was bidding on that I would be pissed. Once reserve has been met, the auction should be left to run. If there are no bid, or reserve not met, then not such a big deal. Makes a joke of the $1 reserve auctions (or any really).

jmma, Aug 31, 6:36am
The old saying comes to mond.
Money talks, BS walks. (o:

cagivachick1, Aug 31, 8:40am
desmo me old mate

rovercitroen, Aug 31, 12:01pm
Happens all the time. At least the seller openly said that he was open to offers. It is frustrating if one is a genuine buyer. I watch a lot of car auctions and SO often cars are 'sold' then relisted because the top bidder could not come up with the money. Well, that's the reason the sellers give anyway.

ksam, Aug 31, 9:21pm
Don't completely disagree, but if a caryard was advertising 'cars starting a $1 reserve', just to get people in, with no real intention of honoring the advertising 'in spirit', would that be an issue?

sw20, Aug 31, 9:26pm
I would say word would quickly get around that the car yard was still open to selling the vehicles anyway they can.

I still won't set foot on a now very big dealers lot that used to shill bid their own $1 reserve trades.

kazbanz, Aug 31, 9:40pm
To be honest with a couple or well noted exceptions its not car dealers that are guilty of this sort of stuff. Mostly its "private" sellers with not a lot to loose.

budgel, Aug 31, 10:02pm
Either TradeMe enforces its rules or it does not. In this case it is clear it does not.
I think Kaz is right, TradeMe is just an advertising medium. As long as the fees are paid Trademe is happy.
There is always the chance with a $1 reserve auction that a vendor might not get that separate offer they were hoping for, so it could be a risky advertising strategy.
The popularity of the TradeMe site shows that most Kiwis accept the way it is run, even if they like to moan about it now and then.

sw20, Aug 31, 10:33pm
When are TM going to remove this line of text from the bidding process?

"If you win this auction, you are legally obligated to complete your purchase."

socram, Sep 1, 3:53am
The days of honour are well gone - for sellers and buyers.

IF everyone was 100% honourable, there would be no debate, no need for petty rules, most of which aren't able to be enforced anyway. For every duff seller, there are any number of dubious bidders.

For every genuine looker/tyre licker who agrees a meeting time to view, there are a dozen who never turn up. Welcome to the modern age.

kazbanz, Sep 1, 4:09am
I agree with you mate.The days a deal is done on a handshake have long gone.