How much to paint a car nowdays?

myrns, Aug 22, 10:00pm
I bought my wife a toyota sprinter in silver 148.000kms was bought in a hurry and at night because her bluebird broke down that morning, anyhow now she has had a good look she is complaining about dents and paint patchups on car so thought would it be worth repainting?

franc123, Aug 22, 10:18pm
Extremely unlikely unless you can do a good DIY job on it. At best it might be worth getting a pro touch up of the worst areas if you think it might add value to it.

myrns, Aug 22, 10:29pm
Not worried about adding value wife just wants a tidier car. Another thought was to find another silver bonnet $50 rear bumber $80 and left hand door $60 (already checked pick a parts prices) but being silver doubt the silver would match, if it did car would be sorted for her.

justwotever, Aug 22, 11:10pm
Cost me 10 thousand to paint my 1966 oldsmoilbe coup

mals69, Aug 22, 11:27pm
Yeah like a paint job going to add any real value to a car with 148k on the clock, if was me would shoot to super cheap buy some matching paint, find a spot with no wind, newspaper , masking tape , and tidy it up that way.
Just going to throw good money at a car that does not warrant it. Whats it going to be worth when it reaches 160k ? 200k ? Proverbial 5/8th of FA !

myrns, Aug 22, 11:37pm
My wife would be lucky to do 7000kms a year so if I paint it and car looks good for the next 5 years its all good. I worked in a furniture spray shop years ago and was pretty good at that so could be worth having a go myself.

mals69, Aug 22, 11:47pm
No doubt handy with the gun :) amazing what they sell these
days to the general public to help do a good job

trogedon, Aug 22, 11:52pm
I resprayed my car for a bit under $200 (undercoat and topcoat) but did it all myself and got a really good deal on the paint. With a litre(+ hardeners and thinners) each of undercoat, topcoat(colour matched) and clear you could do those three panels.

lookoutas, Aug 23, 4:26am
Jeez you're lucky. I know a guy who had 700 hours spent on his paint job. Times that by even $70/hr, and you have 49K for the labour!

kazbanz, Aug 23, 4:37am
Primer $100 Silver paint $200 Clear coat $100
Spray gun hire $150
Masking tape.sandpaper bog etc $100
your time?

sw20, Aug 23, 4:58am
I had my bonnet, roof, rear hatch, drivers door and fuel flap quarter panel painted and rust removed from the hatch and under fuel flap for $1000 a couple of weeks back.

myrns, Aug 23, 5:03am
Thats good value. who did that for you?

lookoutas, Aug 23, 6:44am
To give you an accurate quote on what the stingiest of Insurance Co's would allow to paint the three items. (That's IAG) It would be $610.70. Plus a couple of blends at $52 each. (If we have photos of the blends masked out)

Don't forget the dents need fixing with a piece of string - first.

budgel, Aug 23, 7:17am
Could you please explain what that means.

elect70, Aug 24, 12:55am
Anyone used that super Cheap paint ? is it any good ,is it acrylic lacquer?

lookoutas, Aug 24, 1:01am
It means "I wouldn't have a bloody clue how much it will cost!"

kazbanz, Aug 24, 3:53am
I dunno how good it is but its far from "super cheap" Ive bought some to touch up old cheapie bumper corners.

grangies, Aug 26, 2:57am
The super cheap paint is Lyndar and it's actual true Basecoat for a 2K system. I have been told the paint is the Metalux brand and relabelled Lyndar for the Super Cheap Auto shops. Lyndar is a combination of the names Lyndsay and Darlene, who own L J Smits ( which is a major paint sales company)

trogedon, Aug 26, 3:38am
Like JANOLA

attitudedesignz, Aug 28, 6:18pm
My old man and Darlene know each other from when they were both in Canada.

Made for nice discounts when I used to buy from GPI lol.