How is the best way to store a car when not in use

jack2molly, Feb 13, 7:40am
The cars are going to be stored for many years, thanks

lissa25, Feb 13, 7:42am

jack2molly, Feb 13, 7:44am
Hi thanks for that what I wanted to know, do you drain the water etc?

jack2molly, Feb 13, 7:45am
If it helps they are Xy falcons

morticia, Feb 13, 7:46am
Nice. $US250 on Aliexpress, shame about the postage lol

differentthings, Feb 13, 7:51am
This is what I did. Run the motor and add oil down the inlet until it is smoking quite badly.Let the engine cool down and then back off the rockers until there is no pressure on the valve springs. Drain the water from the radiator and the engine block. Drain fuel.Tape up inlet. Put car on stands/or remove wheels. Leave hand brake off and leave the doors ajared on the first catch.
And cover your car with something.

mechnificent, Feb 13, 7:57am
I'd leave the water in it but add some soluble oil. a gun shop or engineering supply shop can supply it.
A dry block will rust and the head gasket will dry out.

mechnificent, Feb 13, 7:58am
And perhaps you might give the whole bodywork a good oil spray.

lissa25, Feb 13, 7:59am

donz01, Feb 14, 3:03am
I have kept my one tonner on hold in my garage for more than 10 years. Its my retirement project so I got a couple more years to wait before doing anything else to it.

budgel, Feb 14, 3:06am
Put some rat/mice bait in the passenger compartment, mice can sometimes get into a locked car.

geedubu, Feb 14, 4:30am
The carcoon covers are very effective, and if the car has value (even if just to you) will deal with condensation and other issues. I have seen them on trademe, they must still be around. Someone up the road from me stores his Citroen ds23 under one.

extrayda, Jun 17, 3:51pm
Best just to sell them very cheaply to another Aucklander who will keep them in a nice garage and take them out in the weekends :-)