A car to make ir easier for frail lady

thea4, Dec 12, 8:26am
Anyone have suggestions? family want to take me out for drives to get me out of the house

fordcrzy, Dec 12, 8:28am
toyota ipsum with the mobility front seat that comes out nlike a stair climber thing

jayzeeb, Dec 12, 8:59pm
A lot of people like the small SUV's for access, easy to get in and out of because of the height, nice wide doors and lots of handles to grab hold of, like a Hyundai IX35 or Santa Fe

galex, Dec 12, 9:24pm
I regularly ferry an eldery [ 83 ] year old friend of the family about, I have a Honda Jazz, The front doors open wide and the seat is fairly high, with the front passenger seat pushed back there is heaps of room for her to gently manouver herself into and out of the front seat of the car.

gram, Dec 12, 9:33pm
Yes mate of mine bought a 2008 Nissan Dualis for that reason. Is a Santa Fe in that same small class.? I'd have thought they were quite a big bigger.

budgel, Dec 12, 9:46pm
My 87 year old Mum loves the comfort and quiet smoothness of my BMW 740i.

mm12345, Dec 12, 10:02pm
This 99 year old driver thinks ". speed limits are terrible - I like driving fast".
http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/74978608/99yearold-renews-drivers-licence-for-another-two-years

rovercitroen, Dec 12, 11:28pm
Elderly neighbours like their Nissan Tiida. Nice wide doors for easy access. It's been a good car for them.

robotnik, Dec 12, 11:40pm
My Mazda Demio has height adjustable seats that make it easier for my elderly parents to get in and out. They both can walk though and aren't disabled. They just have stiff joints and stuff due to age.

berg, Dec 13, 4:00am
I somewhat hate myself for even going here but maybe look at (if you can afford to maintain one properly and have a dealer handy) a Skoda Roomster. Yes, they are ugly as a bucket of busted bumholes (look like something that got rear ended by a totally different vehicle) but our local Driving Miss Daisy swears by them. They move the elderly and infirm every day and they tell me that the Roomster is fantastic. Even better if you are partially sighted but their reputation locally is quite good.

kazbanz, Dec 13, 4:52am
Thea, what is the physical issue you have?
Im not being nasty its just that the different cars will fit different needs.
personally I would recommend a Toyota Porte.
High roof and a HUGE door makes getting in really easy

tamarillo, Dec 13, 5:39am
Thea, listen to Kaz advice and questions. He knows of what he talks.

serf407, Dec 13, 5:43am
Make sure whatever the vehicle is that it has good air conditioning - some of the elderly melt in the heat of a warm day.
Make sure storage has room for baggage and wheelchair if the wheelchair stage has been reached.

thea4, Dec 15, 1:20am
Hi thanks for your answer. Many years of heavy physical work has left me suffering from aches and pain with walking even sitting for very long difficult, lying warm in bed is the best, but that isn't good so I need to be able to get out .

kazbanz, Dec 15, 1:35am
In that case then I'd suggest you look a t a Toyota Raum as first port of call. comfortable seats easy to get into and Corolla running gear

robotnik, Dec 15, 2:18am
The Nissan Tiida has very wide and comfortable seats. Its seats are as wide as the much larger Nissan Maxima.

geedubu, Dec 15, 6:59am
I have had a good experience with a relative with the Mazda Demio (2007+) as a sound, basic, comfortable very easy car to enter and leave. If however you need a special needs type car there are some on TME. But for an "ordinary" car that is easy to enter & exit & is a good straightforward vehicle I think well of the Demio.

buyit59, Jun 12, 5:08pm
Yes for the Porte but I would also suggest a Toyota Ractis as its a 5 door with a great low loading rear hatch ( wheelchair or walking frame) and has nice tall doors . Agree also with a Raum. on the left side the rear door slides and when it is open along with front door there is no central "B" pillar which allows for great access.