VW "quarantining" new cars

butterfly05, Oct 5, 4:50am
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11523668

Hundreds already out there.

Smaller numbers of Audi and Skoda vehicles with the same engines were also likely to be affected.

""
A statistic analysis by the Associate Press news agency estimates that VW's pollution-control chicanery has not just been victimless tinkering, but is likely to be killing between five and 20 people a year in the United States, from excessive emissions of smog-forming nitrogen oxides.""

intrade, Oct 5, 4:58am
yea dont forget the chinese whom die by the tousends of industrial smog because the usa and every country produces goods there with no concern for polution, only profit in mind

smalltrader2, Oct 5, 5:48am
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/volkswagen-and-audi-suspend-diesel-sales-20151003-gk0h4h.html

Watch the drama unfolds .

OZ has already halted sales of affected VW/Audi diesels on Friday. Surely, Skoda must be affected as well but it is all quiet.

brapbrap8, Oct 5, 6:01am
If I had an affected vehicle I wouldn't want the update, I bet it will only do bad things to the economy and durability of the engine, especially on our bad diesel in NZ.

vtecintegra, Oct 5, 6:02am
You really shouldn't get a choice - if the model doesn't actually meet the standards it was sold to it shouldn't be on the road at all

bwg11, Oct 5, 6:04am
You are absolutely correct. The cleaner the exhaust, the less power and torque.

msigg, Oct 5, 6:06am
Well they were warned about it in 2007, they will fall on their Sword.

intrade, Oct 5, 6:10am
bmw are next lol they said there models at times did go out of parameters . lol fact is they all had to do it. vw engeneers said in interview there was simply no other option. internal combustion and fuel= emissions if the greenies like it or not there simply is no magig wand . the otto motor is a over 100 year old out-dated product.

vtecintegra, Oct 5, 6:13am
Going outside of parameters under some conditions (BMW) is a very different thing to a defeat mechanism that VW deliberately put into their software

intrade, Oct 5, 6:19am
no its not and they all know about it vw just used a short cut .
its like stealing is ok solong as you claim you did not do it.

vtecintegra, Oct 5, 6:24am
Your analogy is dead wrong

brapbrap8, Oct 5, 6:58am
http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1100257_breaking-volkswagen-will-recall-all-11-million-diesel-cars-with-emissions-cheating-software
The possible $11 billion fine is just for America alone, many other countries will also be likely to bring lawsuits against VW so the costs will be much higher.

Also the recall will probably reduce fuel economy which will open VW up to class action lawsuits by affected owners.

tamarillo, Oct 5, 7:10am
What the fuss. Seems to me they are simply doing the responsible thing.
Pity we don't follow suit and take all the old diesel SUV s and Utes off our roads.

djrandomguy, Oct 5, 7:59am
if emmisons laws get too hard to meet just do what the amercians do, build trucks like the F150 and sell them to the public, they don't get tested like cars even though they are bought and used as such. America = winning at losing.

westwyn, Oct 5, 8:04am
No, they're only doing the "responsible thing" as they had been caught- if they didn't out themselves, someone else was going to. and in damage control 101, it's always better to front the nightmare, than be confronted with it.

vtecintegra, Oct 5, 8:06am
Pickup trucks still have to meet NOx standards which is the thing that VW has a problem with

mimik3, Oct 5, 11:06am
Funny but BMW engines seen to have passed, if not have managed to get a lot closer to the requirements than VW ever managed to get.

tamarillo, Oct 5, 7:22pm
Agree that it wouldn't be happening if not caught, but topic was only the removal from sale of some new cars.

bjmh, Oct 5, 7:47pm

mm12345, Oct 5, 9:58pm
So far.
I was reading in a German paper that the method used by VW to identify the test cycle may have been simpler than what had been suggested. That new claim was that accelerometer sensor data from stability control system can easily show when the car is on a dyno - when the engine management system says the car's accelerating, but the accelerometers say it isn't, then switch emissions control off. Easy.

The other aspect ("cycle beating" to optimise emissions in a test cycle to gain a pass, when in "real life" the car may never or seldom be driven in that manner ) is going to open up a great big can of worms.
Just one example would be high-performance vehicles. While they might easily pass under mild acceleration conditions as set out in a standard driving cycle test, what happens if they decide to test under "real world" conditions where a driver may use maximum power? (eg - include a "maximum acceleration" component in the test cycle). Now that would be an extremely unpopular test.

secca2, Oct 5, 10:06pm
the general manager is a idiot, just search trademe for a 09 onwards diesel 1.6 or 2.0 and enter the vin into vw website I the thread I started

ema1, Mar 22, 4:30pm
Condoning the lies and deceit isn't a wise thing intrade . but it's rife in this day and age.
It's high time those in denial and disbelieving of the facts just front up and face the music. period.
Deceit and all the lies plus the corruption has no place in my book.
What VAG went and did was blatant and devious I hope they get what is coming and be made an example of in more ways than one.
I for one won't be spending any of my hard earned money on any such company that has admitted to blatant deceit and corruption. period.