Vtnz pre purchase inspection

Page 2 / 2
kazbanz, Nov 28, 4:44am
IM SORRY! I missed your third post that said it was transported.
Seems you type faster than I can ceep up
My suggestion is to tell your mechanic you would like a cooling system flush carried out. You would then like a TK test carried out and a Compression test carried out.
This will pretty fast sort out if you "just have a dirty cooling system maybe a leaking seal/hose OR you have a major mechanical issue.
To explain my thinking here. flush the cooling system will (hopefully) either just clean it out OR will wash away any cheap fix product that's been poured in to hide a blown gasket somewhere, A TK and compression test will confirm./deny its what I suspect is wrong
-The testing "should" cost about $100
Then you can go back to the dealer with the results. Frankly if bad enough you want your money back or repairs paid for

aredwood, Nov 28, 11:32am
Is it a V6 engine? As if so it might be the 3VZFE. Which often blows head gaskets.

cheapy11, Nov 28, 6:48pm
$100+ that you will never get back.

The CGA says you MUST go back to through dealer for any work to be done, so they should always be your first port of call.

Any money you spend without their approval is wasted. Talk to the dealer, see what they suggest you do & go from there.

If you suspect they haven't fixed it properly, then spend the $100 or whatever to get a 2nd opinion. Sounds like it might just need a coolant system flush & as long as u didn't screw the dealer they should happily take care of that if you approach them in a reasonable manner.

kazbanz, Nov 28, 7:11pm
Cheaoy--NORMALLY I would 100% agree with you. But in this case you missed the part about the OP being 6 hours away from the dealer.
On THAT basis I say get the $100 worth of testing carried out.
The testing is all non invasive. This gives the OP and the dealer the chance to make a fully informed decision.
I genuinely feel that in this situation it is money well spent.

xs1100, Nov 28, 7:56pm
yes but if there had of been inhibitor and water in the tank the brown sludge wouldn't of developed to start with

kazbanz, Nov 28, 8:08pm
Wouldn't it.? If what I suspect is true then the brown stuff might be there deliberately

franc123, Nov 28, 8:56pm
Indeed, I'd be extremely concerned of any brown substances be it rust or cooling system sealants anywhere near a 3VZ cooling system, I'd predict this isn't going to make for long term happiness, its probably the reason it was traded. This is all the more reason why you need to seek out the right people when doing checks, a knowledgeable Toyota person would know about the block rot issue and pay specific attention to the cooling system and probably would have issued a warning at best on the report and a don't proceed any further at worst. Its by far the most consistent and expensive fault with those engines.

kazbanz, Nov 28, 10:55pm
franc--I was thinking something had been put in the water deliberately because of the rot issue

franc123, Nov 28, 11:20pm
Absolutely. Sadly us grizzled veteran spanner spinners have seen it more than once on newly purchased cars that were, ahem, bargains.

thisles5, Nov 29, 12:08am
the person selling the car chucked the inspection chap a fifty spot . (would i lie to you )

cheapy11, Nov 29, 2:48am
Yes but I said go back THROUGH the dealer, not physically back TO the dealer. As in phone the dealer & see what they want to do, they will probably arrange a radiator shop in the buyers home town to assess the situation & then decisions can be made. But why pay the $100+ to find whats wrong when ultimately that should be the dealers cost.

kevymtnz, Nov 29, 3:14am
VTNZ dont know what they are suppose to be
useless at cars and useless as trainers and inspectors
id never go there

kazbanz, Nov 29, 3:18am
NOPE sorry-If Im right the OP will be thanking me profusely for spending their $100. Again NORMALLY I agree with you 100% just not in this specific case.
I hope the OP sticks around on this one I'd like to know if my gut feeling is right.

dk002, Nov 30, 6:54pm
I know op and the surf she is talking about, it is the 3rz -fe (2.7) not the other one :)

kazbanz, Nov 30, 7:08pm
My advice remains the same

jobiez053, Dec 1, 5:03am
Getting a new radiator put into tomorrow at dealership's cost. They have allowed our mechanic to do the job as the distance to transport the car back is to far. After radiator is replaced any other issues will be also cover under the cga

bumfacingdown, Dec 2, 9:41pm
Fair doos kazbanz, but if I had a car inspected and bought it from a reputable dealer I would expect to jump in and drive as much as I want.
I know that does not count in this case.
Maybe I missed the part where the OP said he noticed a problem, or was it only when it was taken to a friendly mechanic

kazbanz, Dec 3, 4:03am
OP didn't drive it for 6 hours--it was shipped to their place.

bumfacingdown, Dec 3, 8:00pm
Yeah, I know
"I know that does not count in this case. "
It was a general comment.

jobiez053, Dec 8, 12:53am
Little bit of an update, We got new radiator put in all seemed well, kept checking water, Only to find when I checked the radiator again today there was no water at all, only in coolant tank. Turned truck on and white smoke clear sign the head gasket. Rang dealership and told to take it back to our mechanic for replacement. Am a wee bit gutted but I'm so glad we have a awesome dealer who is hand on heart sorry. I'm now thinking how did the head gasket test pass at Vtnz, Did the guy who traded it in know?

mm12345, Dec 8, 1:38am
There's some chance IMO that whoever traded it in to the dealer was a con-man, who knew that there was a cracked head/leaky gasket, but threw some snake-oil (head gasket "repair in a can") in the radiator, ran it with his fingers crossed until it sealed, drained the radiator, cleaned up all signs of the "fixed" leak so it was all looking good with fresh clean green coolant, and held his fingers crossed again that the temporary "fix" would hold on long enough to pass the dealer's own inspection, so may have passed the VTNZ inspection too.
Sometimes those snake-oil fixes work for months, sometimes days, sometimes not at all. If that's what happened, then it might not have been picked up by the dealer or VTNZ despite their best normal efforts.

If that could be proven within balance of probability, then the dealer could sue the guy who traded it in, as deliberately not disclosing or hiding known faults is excluded from caveat emptor. Proving it could be a problem, then actually getting money paid from a disputes tribunal ruling when it's already been established that the seller is a dishonest scumbag who probably won't pay anyway may mean it's more trouble than it's worth.

On the other hand it could have been just 100% bad luck, even if I suspect not.

jobiez053, Dec 8, 1:52am
Thank you for your response, I was thinking someone must have done a quick fix on it but wasn't sure it was even possible. I'm just so glad we have found this fault fast and the dealership is helping fix the problem. I'm not sure if there is a way to find out if the gasket was buggered before trade in but if the mechanic finds any signs of this we will be sure to pass any info on to dealership to help them. It just shows you can look at everything on a car and get the professionals to as well and still be sold a car with big issues.

kazbanz, Jul 17, 2:25am
Jobie--Im genuinely sorry to say I told you so.
THAT is exactly why I said to pay to get a TK test carried out and what I suspected was true re the vehicle has turned out to be bang on correct.
What has happened is the motor has cooked and someone somewhere has put a stop leak product in the cooling system. With a good flush out now the stop leak product has gone. THAT was the brown sludge you found.
I can tell you there is no question whatsoever someone knew for certain the engine had been cooked.
Was it the dealer? Maybee -and he was hoping it would last a few months before boiling over. -By your description though Id say that's unlikely.
So yep the last owner has pulled a shady trick in my opinion.
The big question is just how bad a "cook up" has happened?
a minorish one you may get away with a crack test of the head a plane and new head gasket. REALLY bad and the rings will be shot and the head riddles with cracks.
PLEASE do as I suggested-Get a TK and compression test done.