Which wagon - Mazda, Subaru, VW?

pandai, Mar 5, 2:28am
Looking to replace the Accord Euro (2011) in a couple of months. It's been a great car but it would be nice to have something a bit more versatile, with more cargo space.

The new Mazda 6 seems like an obvious choice - similar sort of drive, and I really like the newly facelifted interior. The new infotainment screen is quite BMWish and I like the range of equipment on the Limited model. Would be a great drivers car.

But the new Subaru Outback is very tempting too. Styling quite boring and conservative, inside and out, and I'm not in love with the touchscreen stereo/navigation (prefer hard buttons like the Mazda). All wheel drive, and more ground clearance would be a great novelty though. The roads in Christchurch, though not as bad as they were, are still not smooth. I hate hitting bumps in the Accord and it would be nice to drive something that didn't care so much about bumps or potholes. I am worried about the engine and gearbox though (2.5, CVT). It's a bit of a slow car, and I don't know anything about the fuel economy.

What competes with the Outback though? Only thing that comes to mind is the Passat Alltrack. I know nothing about them. How would the 225/48/18 tyres on the Passat deal with gravel roads? The Outback is fitted with 225/65/18 and I bet they'd be a lot more comfortable. The Outback (in Premium trim) also has privacy glass, LED headlights, electric tailgate, navigation, etc. And it's a lot cheaper. What can the VW offer that the Subaru wouldn't?

It's probably a decision between the Mazda and the Subaru at the moment. Just haven't driven the Outback yet, and don't know what Subaru's are like to own. If it's happy on rough roads (I'm thinking Glenorchy to Paradise and then up the Dart river here) then maybe it would be a great adventure car.

Have a couple of months to choose, anyway. Would appreciate thoughts.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 3:30am
Hi there, being a car mag reader that rang an alarm bell re Passat. There is a new Passat out which is reviewed as being a big big leap forward, yet I had a look at vw nz and the all track I see there is the old model, which will depreciate real quick! Notice they have the R wagon (standard one) on $12000 run out.

So, have they told you about the new Passat all track coming?
Also the all track is, it seems, only a diesel in nz, did you want that?

Understand your concern re wheel tyre profile for Christchurch, I'm in Nelson but used to spend lots of time there, and having broken back like a decent ride. My own experience has been that cars seem to work fine with the wheel tyre combo they are set up for and get choppy when lower profile tyres on bigger wheels get specced on same model. A Calais I used as company car had 18' with fairly skinny tyres and was fine, yet I'm on an old audi now that has been fitted with simerlar 18's and it's horrible.
The outback high profile tyres should give extra cushioning and ride comfort, and does from what I read. Surprising the Passat has 45 profile but suppose it's firmly an on road car whereas outback has a rep as being useful in light off road stuff.
Guess test drives will answer questions, but check the new Passat coming, or get run out price on old model.
Mazda 6 look terrific though, and again is well received by motoring scribblers especially the diesel version, apparently its a very very good diesel unit.
Do these have enough extra space though? I ran an accord euro of that model after the Calais sports wagon, and wondering how much more space these wagons will have. If you're happy with a bit more petrol the holden sports wagon has a clearly bigger boot and interior. I'm not convinced it would use much more gas than outback petrol, though obviously the vw or Mazda diesels would be far better.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 3:38am
Skoda superb? This is vw underpinnings but far bigger inside, superb has massive boot yet great economy ans highly sensible tyres etc.
again there is a new model just released overseas so check that, might be run out here. It isn't four wheel drive but it doesn't sound like you need it and it must cost in gas carrying the extra drive chain around. There is a 4wd raised octavia scout but that's smaller and maybe doesn't the extra space. Superb does!
http://www.skoda.co.nz/models/new-superb-combi/overview

tamarillo, Mar 5, 4:15am
Edit comment re not really needing four wheel,drive, on reflection I sense you like idea of talking a few interesting roads?
Have you considered the softroaders that have a more suv style? Personally I prefer wagons, but with your sense of adventure maybe softroaders could enter your equation. The outback is technically a softy but is wagon based whereas the likes of the vw Tiguan, Mazda cx5 etc are a more suv style. They might give you the better ride, taller tyres, space, and some adventure capability your after. Mazda CX-5 uses same sky active petrol and diesels as the 6.
I've driven latest RAV4 and CRV and wasn't impressed at all personally, after the accord you might be dissappointed with the dynamics. The VW and Cx5 I've not driven but going by comparison tests are pretty good, especially cx5. If you think softroaders might work I have a wheels magazine comparison test around somewhere I think.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 6:16am
Is Honda nz new or import? I ask as I had a nz new one that rode far better than the two imports I tried.

lookoutas, Mar 5, 6:40am
Jeez tama - I would pit an Outback against any of those poncey off roaders you mentioned.
One unbeatable feature is the Subaru traction.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 7:13am
Fair enough, it's personal and certainly some love their subs.

lookoutas, Mar 5, 7:35am
I drive Subaru's because of what they have done for me.
My choice of what OP suggested would be the Mazda 6. But they also want the benefit of off-road if it happens to eventuate, and that still means the Mazda, coz it probably won't happen.

One story that always tickles me is the day that a smart-arsed Cockie stopped his quad on the brow of a steep track so I would have to stop on the sheep-shit covered greasy slope. He then took-off across the yard laughing his dick off, pointing back over his shoulder for the shearers benefit. Of course the shearers were all laughing back (at him) coz I was right up his tail-pipe. He got the shock of his life when he pulled up and realised that the bunt, bunt on his rear wheel was my front bumper.

ronaldo8, Mar 5, 8:14am
Competes with an outback? Forester, the first and best crossover.

sport_billy, Mar 5, 8:18am
Like the 3.6 Outbacks - opted for one (not brand new however) after testing softroaders (Rav, CX7, etc)

pandai, Mar 5, 8:23am
NZ New sedan, I haven't driven an imported one so wouldn't know the difference.

brapbrap8, Mar 5, 8:25am
OP, if you think the 2.5 Subaru may be gutless, try the 3.6L version.
Low profile tyres can be fine if the car has well set up suspension like the VW will have.
I have been out the gravel road to east cape and done some fairly rough farm tracks in my dads Audi A6 Allroad with 245/35-19 tyres on it.
That does have adjustable air suspension though and can lift itself up like a 4x4 for offroad or lower itself right down for hard driving on road. Not sure if the VW versions have that?
The VW will be heaps cheaper on fuel than the Subaru, but Subarus are nice too, and great to drive.
I had an Outback a couple of years ago with no issues at all.

pandai, Mar 5, 8:28am
I like the technology package in the Mazda, and the stereo. It's probably the nicest car of those I mentioned, just worried about how firmly they ride. Some of the roads around here are still &*^*ed from the EQ and will be for some time.

Love the go-anywhereness of the Subaru. However the stereo is relatively crap. But I'm hoping it would be comfortable.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 9:14am
Ah sedan! Now I see why a similar sized wagon would provide more space!
So A Skoda octavia scout might be big enough, comes in diesel or petrol though the diesel is the more powerful and more economical, has full multimedia stuff, raised ride height etc. It has more power, more economy, and is quicker than the 2.5 outback. It's proper four week drive with A Haldex clutch systems too. You might prefer the gearbox as well as the Subaru CVT isn't everyones cuppa tea though they'd do use electronic control to try and tame it's Reving and provide real gear like sensations.

Have a look http://www.skoda.co.nz/models/new-octavia-scout/pages/octavia-scout-overview.aspx

meow_mix, Mar 5, 9:33am
My pick would be the all-new 2015 Outback/Legacy, should be a great car. I don't know when this all-new model will be available in NZ though, so until then you could buy the previous model Outback/Legacy from 2010 onwards which was a fine car.

tamarillo, Mar 5, 9:36am
May I ask what sort of gas milage figures you get in what sort of driving environment. Only ever passengered in one but was impressed and, I think, until new model the 3.6 had a conventional gearbox which i like. But owner was getting only 13l per 100k which is awful, but he wasn't a smooth driver and was braking a lot when he didn't need to!
Do you know what you get?

pandai, Mar 5, 10:21am
They are available already, though a bit of a waiting list depending on what colour/trim you're after. It's a shame they don't offer the diesel engine with EyeSight. The 3.6R is too expensive for me, and not a fan of the fuel consumption either.

Not really interested in Skoda - which might be in a similar boat to VW, right on the cusp of being updated. Don't know if I want to drive a car called a Superb either.

thunderbolt, Mar 5, 6:10pm
Skoda Octavia RS. ?

tamarillo, Mar 5, 6:34pm
Skoda octavia scout has been updated last year so now uses the latest vw group platform. No fears there. Really does seem to tick your boxes!
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11365385 http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/skoda/skoda-octavia-scout-184-tdi-dsg-4x4-2014-review/

sport_billy, May 15, 3:02am
My 3.6 has a conventional 5 speed auto. I think the newer models have a CVT.
I actually have a company fuel card so am not always not always watching economy 24/7 but do keep an eye on it - a trip Nelson to CHCH with a boot full of gear, 2 bikes on the roofracks, aircon on and 'hustling' along returned 8.8L/100kms. Around town stop start in CHCH traffic I am sitting on 11 or so L/100kms.
They do like a drink when using the power of course but consumption can be controlled if you wish.

I have found it almost the same as my old 3.0 legacy.

I actually really really liked the 3.2 4wd Passat wagon, and the Mazda 6 is also a nice vehicle but I wanted a 'do anything' car come summer or winter though so hence the Outback won! (If I had the money I'd test drive a Passat equivalent)