Dude,wheres my car?

Page 1 / 2
61holden, Aug 18, 5:05am
Having ordered a Jeffs Transport collection from a Cambridge mate for early last wee, for my classic. Jeffs seem to have cocked every single step up.
Collection was requested as soon as practical/ possible at the start of the week- 24hrs notice was asked for before collection to make sure someone was home - 5 minutes was given,(by the driver and mate was an hour and a half away in Auckland) Friday afternoon.
A few more angry phone calls and a hastily arranged truck was dispatched Saturday morning from Auckland to collect the car . I thought that would be the end of it.
Rang this morning to find out when it would be here. they didn't know where the car was.
Waited two hours for a call back in 5 mins. no call, so I rang back again. car was located in a yard in Auckland. planned movements to the South Island would begin tomorrow (Day 3 after collection), someone would ring back to confirm. no call.
Rang again.
"where is your car being picked up from?".
"You have my car. "
"OH,. have we?. Uuuummm, I will get some one to call you back?"

61holden, Aug 18, 5:08am
Rang again, different tactic,rang Wellington.
Found car(in yard in Auckland). again.
Will arrive maybe on Friday? But no Guarantees.
Why are these people still in business?
Still waiting for someone to ring me back to confirm.

gunhand, Aug 18, 5:08am
Lucky you didn't send it by rail, never be heard of or seen again. Or was that 30 years ago?
But yea, bugger.

61holden, Aug 18, 5:14am
. Found a cheap 2004 Car Transporter in the Netherlands, reckon I could purchase it ,ship it and comply it for half the price of the one on Trade Me now. Business opportunity anyone?

phillip.weston, Aug 18, 5:25am
is it a Volvo? lol

cagivachick1, Aug 18, 5:29am
sold a car and it was being transported by jeffs, the buyer organised it and gave specific instructions to call me at least 1 hr prior to pick up so i could organise to be home and get the old beast started, they rang 5 mins away luckily i was running late and hadnt left for work

berg, Aug 18, 6:04am
Jeffs used to be good when it was Jeffs. Seems things might have changed since PTS took over the helm. Hopefully not a sign of things to come

61holden, Aug 18, 6:11am
Service is obviously not their strong point. neither is communications!
Last thing I want is my old car sitting in a yard for a week.

61holden, Aug 19, 4:37am
Still waiting for the call back. guessing it ain't coming.
Car probably will not want to start after sitting for few days now.
So when they flog the fu(k out of the starter andshit battery who gets the blame when it don't go?

dave653, Aug 19, 11:10pm
Jeez! I'd be getting someone you know to go get it. find another transporter. Hope it turns out well for you!

kazbanz, Aug 19, 11:53pm
personal experience- 3 cars arrived at the port. "a company that begins with J" picked all three up. Only two turned up here.
Number 3 car arrived a week later.
Dents on roof,gouged dashboard,Windscreen clearly just replaced. and as it turns out a load of glass in the ac vents.
Photographs prove it left Japan undamaged.The dents on the roof lined up perfectly with an upper deck on a truck being dropped too low or a car driven up onto lower deck with upper deck partially lowered.
But NOOO--it wasn't us -weee didn't do it

richardmayes, Aug 20, 2:07am
If it is of any consolation - I worked for a company that used to arrange for a leading NZ freight company to pick up pieces of 6mm and 10mm plate steel (long thin ones - sizes ranged from about 130mm x 2500mm to 250mm x 6000mm -ish) from Fletchers and deliver them to our customers all over the country.

99.5% of the time the service was excellent, and they would be at their destination by the end of day 2, provided the order was made before midday on day 1.

But that remaining 0.5% of the time, when pieces of steel got lost somewhere in the freight company's system, they got REALLY lost!

Once all else had failed, and the boss of the depot had to personally do an eyeball search, they would usually turn up in a dark corner of the depot, buried under someone's house lot of furniture or a pallet of paint cans or the likes.

The best thing you can do is ring them every couple of hours, sound angry, and demand to speak to the guy in charge and basically be a flea in his ear until they sort it out.

poppajn, Aug 20, 2:27am
Car picked up in Christchurch, perfect condition, lucky, photo's were taken, delivered in Oamaru 4 hours later, rear end stove in. "Oh, I had to unload it a couple of time's, but dunno what's happened there"
Car was still driveable but wrote off, the funny thing was, a week later a claim's form arrived to be filled in.

elect70, Aug 20, 3:17am
Used wrong company . Jeffs used to be Ok but amalgamated with several others into 1 big firm & service went down hill & prices increased . Should have used Auto Despatch far cheaper & a small family run freindly efficient little business . Used them for 4 trips in past few years .

marte, Aug 20, 9:24am
I wondered why Jeffs had changed,
First time, wonderful, driver is a real nice guy.

Year or so later, called them for another car inquiry. Got talked to bin a way that just gutted me.
I didn't buy the car after that.

But my first driver, again, really really nice guy.

dave653, Aug 20, 8:17pm
Every time I was trusted with someone elses property I did my best to keep that trust. Made a real good name for meself. Management however.

61holden, Aug 22, 6:43am
Phone call Wednesday night, car turning up first thing thursday(I work over half an hour away so frantic arrangements were made!) car arrived,pushed off the back of a transporter and left in the middle of a huge puddle(at local pub,one block away from home because there was roadworks at my street, admittedly by agreement) as would not start.
Fuel tank dry(10litres put in day it was loaded), battery disconnected (and flat) dents on both back corners of bumpers,( no photos-no proof), front number plate pushed flush against contours of the bumper with obvious tow ball damage against it.
Driver was hanging round, as soon as off the ramps paper was thrust into my hand ,sign here! And off he went before I even lifted bonnet.

Apparently, it would not start so rather than winch it on, they used a forklift !

NEVER AGAIN.

tgray, Aug 22, 7:17am
A forklift is a no no!
Oh dear, I think I will stick with Kiwi Shipping.

gtrb26, Aug 22, 7:52am
The driver left my keys in the ignition, left it on the side of the road wasn't happy and have never used them again.

cory_pearson, Aug 30, 8:52pm
They amalgamated into the CDG right? Had issues with them a few years back with work. I flew down to Invercargill to secure some assets and vehicles following a business sale. Had arranged a few weeks prior that these would be collected and invoiced to the company (large NZ company) as we had done in the past with them.

Day 2 of me being down there and I'm waiting half a day for the truck to arrive. I call them and was told there is no truck as they were waiting for us to pay them first. They were dropped from that job and any other relocations of vehicles I was involved in. Was not impressed.

In saying that, I may have been the minority case for them to still be in business - surely businesses eventually suffer when they consistently perform poorly for customers. Pr perhaps this is a slightly naive chain of thought.

westwyn, Aug 31, 12:21am
As a hint, Kaz, you might be interested to know that the original owners of VTS (who upset the Auckland marketplace some 15 off years ago with their owner-operator personal approach) have got together and started up a new company pretty much along the same lines as the old VTS (before they sold out to Jeffs). Neil and Wayne might be just the thing you need. For obvious reasons on here I can't name their company but I'm sure it won't take you long to find them.

cordia_4g63t, Aug 31, 2:36am
I used Captain Transporter to get a car up from Wellington to Auckland a few months ago. Arrived in 4-days door to door. Found them to be quite a lot cheaper than other companies too. Would definitely recommend them if you ever need a service like that in future.

westwyn, Aug 31, 8:15am
Captain Transporter is a service aggregator- a bit like Expedia, so simply using spare capacity on trucks to fill and on-sell.And yes, Jeffs are one of the companies they buys space from. So if you're keen not to use Jeffs, it may be bad luck there.

mharwood, Sep 2, 3:51am
i just used jeffs Thursday
auckland to wanganui they say one trip a week

got there and got a nice text from happy customer which was brought site unseen

elect70, Aug 7, 1:04am
^^^ big risk any damage & driver would say it was existing damage .