Not motoring but.oh well.

attitudedesignz, Sep 25, 4:25am
I know some here will be into metalworking and such so thought i'd ask here first.

How do i go about getting copper to look like this?

Not the "patina" (I hate that word, so overused) but the "eaten" away edges.
I'm assuming it'd be done with an acid of some sort but no amount of 'googling' helps.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/414398792.jpg

mrfxit, Sep 25, 4:28am
I would suspect an acid spray on & wash off when the desired effect is just about done.

attitudedesignz, Sep 25, 4:29am
Yep, but what acid is the thing i'm chasing.

brapbrap8, Sep 25, 4:34am
Google reckons that Nitric acid is the only thing to dissolve copper.

skin1235, Sep 25, 4:35am
sulphuric?, could try a strip and see what the time frame is
doing it with electrolisis via copper-sulphate, reverse the polarity and send the copper to say a steel bolt? may need say a wax splatter to achieve the holes though

mrfxit, Sep 25, 4:36am
D'OH yea sorry, speed reading again
Nitric acid apparently
or if you are really brave
aqua regia

skin1235, Sep 25, 4:36am
wondered about that as I typed in the above - although sulphuric and copper should create copper sulphate, hmmmm

mrfxit, Sep 25, 4:39am

mm12345, Sep 25, 4:53am
Nitric acid can be nasty stuff to deal with.
An electronic store like Jaycar probably sells "etchant" for people making home-made "printed" circuit boards. Ammonium Persulphate or Ferric Chloride are possibilities. Here you go:
http://www.jaycar.co.nz/Service-Aids/PCB-Accessories/Solvents-%26-Other-Aids/Ammonium-Persulphate---400gm/p/NC4254

stevo2, May 9, 5:35pm
I cant help you with that look, but I had to age some old copper quickly on a job for a client and they happened to live next to the sea.
I dipped the nice shiny copper in the tide for a minute or two and within a few hours the colour changed to a deep red.
Not the look I was after so I had to clean it up with steel wool and leave it outside for a couple of days to get the weathered look.