Clock spring repair

jc239, Jul 1, 8:40am
Hi, have the srs light up on 04 Mitsubishi grandis, have been told it's the clock spring. What kind of $$ could we be looking at?

bigfatmat1, Jul 1, 9:22am
$300-500 for a new clock spring job complete.

jc239, Jul 1, 9:26am
Ok, cheers for that.

saxman99, Jul 1, 10:18am
If you're a reasonably confident home mechanic you can do it yourself, you need to be very careful about the centering of the new 'clock spring' and take the usual SRS precautions.

I replaced one on my car with a known-good second hand part for $20.

If you're not 100% happy playing with the SRS components then it's best left to the pros.

jc239, Jul 1, 10:57am
Ha, the first thing my wife said was I wasn't to attempt it.
It's not worth having the airbag not operating properly.

saxman99, Jul 1, 7:50pm
Ha. Fair enough but remember the cool thing about the SRS system is the self test it performs every time you turn the key. If the light comes on and then goes out after a few seconds and stays out then the bag works.

kazbanz, Jul 1, 8:25pm
replacing a clock spring in theory is a pretty easy job.
2 bolts,2 plugs etc. BUT the trouble is you only get one shot at it. put it in wrong (spring not centred) and first time you go to full lock the spring will break.

jc239, Jul 2, 12:30am
Thanks for the info, my regular garage has said bout 550.

twa7, Mar 29, 5:06pm
I tried resetting mine by using a few tube clips but light kept coming back on when I drove off. So got a $20 diag and found to be clock spring I was gutted .It was 500 for the clock spring part only for 07 nissan navara d40. Im not sure what the mechanics charged the mechanical warranty people for labour , all I paid was 300 for excess.
but im sure they broke the first one as mentioned i got a ph call say its finished then I get down there they said we had a hiccup we need to replace it again