Importing a car from Japan.

rob_rooster, Aug 24, 10:33pm
Hi All, considering personally importing a vehicle from Japan.
So far just been snooping around a website called Beforward.
Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to share about them?, or any other importers that do a good job?
Cheers.

maxi090605, Aug 24, 10:42pm
Funny I was looking at that website too, based on recommendations from an officemate's son's mate. He said the guy bought 4 cars from there already without any issues, but I'm not so sure though.

If you managed to get one, can you please let me know the steps, like what does government agency needs to allow it on the road?

I learned you cannot import a model older than 2005.

rob_rooster, Aug 24, 10:47pm
Oh cheers!, I should have done a search :)

kazbanz, Aug 24, 11:05pm
Rob and Maxi--read through that thread it gives a lot of honest answers
Heres a short version
1)you CAN save money buying from Japan
2) There is NO comeback if you do so no matter whats wrong with the car you are responsible.
3)Count on $1000 to get the car road legal in NZ as long as there is nothing wrong with it.
4)Count on paying $1500 freight and 15% gst on the quoted price including their fees in japan.
5) 2004 is the ABSOLUTE cut off for modern cars to be allowed on NZ roads. but for a specific model might in fact be 2007 or even 2009

maxi090605, Aug 24, 11:31pm
cheers Kazbanz, just finished reading that thread point to point, so much information in it. Just realized it's not worth all that trouble that Medcare had to go through if I'm just trying to save a couple of gran for an older replacement, what with all the risks.

kazbanz, Aug 24, 11:42pm
maxi--The most important point is that there is NO comeback if anything goes wrong.

rob_rooster, Aug 25, 12:37am
Cheers again for some good info, food for thought!

ab095, Aug 25, 1:54am
Good company to deal with. HOWEVER - most of their cars seem to be grade 3-4. The grading system is also pretty optimistic as well so be prepared for $$ on panel & paint. Most of their stock seem to be ex fleet cars as well so probably in need of a major service on arrival. If you are after a good car best to see it in person & buy local from a reputable trader.

tamarillo, Aug 25, 4:52am
I imported a nice looking BMW years ago.
Heap of proverbial with numerous problems.

neville48, Aug 25, 7:29am
What amazes me is you go right through the whole pricing process in $NZ and when you get to the final price landed its in $USA and its not that easy to see its in $USA so be careful, looks good till you do the currency change over.

westwyn, Aug 26, 11:47am
It's important to understand they are simply auction buyers on a volume basis in Japan- pretty much everything you see listed was purchased from a Japanese auction sight-unseen a day, week or even a month prior. This has two points to note:
1- they have won the bidding in auction over other buyers- if it's a NZ-market car, then other NZ buyers have elected not to pay the price BF have bid to- often for a reason.
2- Most of the stock is bought sight unseen on an "average price for year / km / grade basis- so no visual inspection to determine the "little things" than can add up pretty quickly. It's simply a numbers game.

It's a win sometimes, lose sometimes scenario IMHO if you're a one-time public buyer. The one car you buy might turn out to be a good deal- or it might turn out to be a dog. You can't average out the losses, if it is, over the rest of a shipment.

pat56, Aug 26, 9:20pm
Kaz, AH are now charging non-dealers $2,000 freight

kazbanz, Aug 28, 9:36am
thanks pat I didn't know that.
Something else to concider NOW if buying in Japan.
The Kiwi has taken TWO dives against the Yen in three months.
One from mid 80s to 80 then this week it dived to mid 70's before "settling" at 77 ish.
The lower the number the more you pay for a car.