Need help/advise buying a used car.

deus701, Oct 5, 5:49am
Looking to replace my 98 familia 323, which has served me very well. It has done 170,000km and now starts creaking in places that I am scared to think about. So I am looking for a car around the 10k mark and came up with a few options which are Mazda Axela, 07/08 Blade or VW Golf.

I heard the 2007 axela was a pretty reliable model, but I am a bit wary as I had friends who bought axela which later developed problems with abs, electronics, etc.

As for Blade, I am looking at the 2.4L but the thing that worries me is the CVT transmission. Is this something that would cost more $$ to fix later down the line?

And for the VW, I know next to nothing about them. it is an option as it is within my budget and the fuel economy looks appealing to me (especially the 2007 VW . I would use the car driving around city, motorways daily. and the occasional long distance driving. I am willing to consider other options and would love any advise/tips on the cars presented

vtecintegra, Oct 5, 6:08am
The first gen 3/Axela still has it's share of creaks and rattles (or at least every one I've driven does) - they're not the mostly solidly built of cars. They are, however, probably about the bets thing in the class to actually drive.

The Blade is quite nicely appointed but way too soft for use here IMO - they wallow around on their suspension in quite an alarming way (the 3.5 is even worse). Really I think you're better off with an Auris/Corolla which is the same body with a smaller engine and less equipment (and crucially less weight)

As for the Golf stated economy and real world economy of the ones in your price range (which will be earl non-turbo FSI) doesn't match up with the spec sheets in my experience (especially the 1.6 which is gutless)

slacker8, Oct 5, 6:26am
Can't comment on other cars but I have a 3.5 blade master g, has a normal 6spd auto, has been great so far, I dont find it wallows around at all, seems about right if not slightly on the firmer side of things, handles country roads brillantly. Just did a road trip and averaged 11.8km per ltr of fuel, with a bit of fun as well.

tamarillo, Oct 5, 9:14am
For $10 you can get a NZ new high spec Honda Civic sedan approx 2008. 1.8 or 2.0 , conventional auto. Lovely cars, bullet proof mechanics, and you'll get a service history and confirmed mileage.
You have to hunt through listing to find NZ ones but they are there and mostly owned by mature folk. Honda wouldn't discount them for fleet, rental use, so they have a high spec.

bryshaw, Oct 5, 9:46pm
2 litre has had no issues, but 1.8 did have a porous metal problem in some motors I have read. The exact maintenance history on NZ new is a definite plus.

deus701, Oct 6, 1:43am
Thank you for the advice everyone. Would definately check out the honda. I drove a corolla rental before and was really impressed by the fuel efficiency. Anyway, any thoughts on Suzuki Kizashi? it looks nice, but does not seem to be common around in nz

tamarillo, Oct 6, 2:12am
They were not a big seller new, caught between two size categories, lack of car expertise, and average scores in motoring mags. Only made for few years as didn't prove popular. CVT auto though. If you're ok with CVT and find as good NZ one with good service history from Suzuki so it's had CVT looked after, make a good used car.

deus701, Mar 6, 8:15am
Strangely enough, right now the car I am seriously considering is the honda civic. That is after looking through all sorts of models from corolla to even the 2005 CRV.

Just like you advised, I would be looking for nz ones (and leather seats according to the wife). I am looking at mileage below 100k, but is it ok to buy one that has done 120k or even 170ks?