The hidden excessive cost of modern motoring

socram, Dec 5, 6:44am
Just before we sold the almost six year old Freelander 2 after a totally trouble free run, the remote packed a sad. $400.

The 13 year old BMW Mini remote fell apart, even though apart from one issue (the German steering rack!), it has been 100% trouble free, so today, another $400.

Why is it that these remotes (and I have heard people having to fork out $1,000) are so expensive, when my cheap Android phone was under $50 and can take pics, play music, connect to the interweb, play games, has a sat nav/GPS, and is on pay as you go, so costs a max of $20 a year?

I'm amazed there hasn't been an investigation by consumer groups. I suppose it just makes running an old classic even more attractive on a long term basis. I wonder what the availability of these remote keys (and other electronic gizmos) is going be like in 20 year's time, especially if manufacturers fall over?

intrade, Dec 5, 7:09am
manufacturer want your car to go in a crusher after 6 years so they can sell you a brand new one again. So its all geared up for this . long therm swervices whom destroy them, no supply of repair information so no one in the aftermarket can repair it. and parts prices sky high mazda is leader in the parts prices no other manufacturer has such redicules overpriced parts.
But that is the game the manufacturer play selling new crap makes em the most profit.
read up about "block exemption"

tigertim20, Dec 5, 7:13am
its insane.

But theyll tell you its all about discouraging theft. Some f the chipped keys as well are insane.

I agree with you though, I cant understand how the tech is so bloody expensive given the likes of android phones you can buy for a dime a dozen.

There needs to be a better was of providing the security, withthout destroying one's wallet. One solution is purchasing aftermarket RFID tech. Its actually very cheap, you can code you own keys as much as you want - a friend of mine has done this with their house - everything is RFID coded, the front door doesnt even have a door handle, its just a flat panel thats locked by extremely strong electromagnets mated to proximity sensors and RFID tags. a quick look on the likes of ebay shows you how heap these systems can be

franc123, Dec 5, 7:26am
Its a no brainer that you buy these things from overseas if the local price is too high and you are 100% of its compatibility.

survivalkiwi, Dec 5, 8:02am
My concern is the care I have to take when I am out boating and diving.
In the past I could just through the keys on the bottom of the inflatable or in my wet suit. But now I have to take a sealed tub and be extra carefull or hide them on the car. Its only a mater of time before they get dropped into the water.
My new truck is keyless. So if my remote gets wet I stuffed. (I assume its not waterproof.

socram, Dec 5, 9:23am
Bear in mind that the Mini key is still required to operate the ignition, the remote probably does no more than lock and unlock the doors and possibly operate some form of immobiliser, so it isn't exactly rocket science.

The old Freelander key remote had to be 'docked' in the dash and had a built in rechargable battery, also operated lights, panic alarm - therefore the Mini key should surely be much cheaper?

I dread to think what the new vehicle (proximity) key would cost, but at least it has replaceable batteries and hopefully, won't get any wear and tear.

r.g.nixon, Dec 5, 9:40am
Cars have remotes now? I should try to keep up with the times. Send money.

jmma, Dec 5, 9:42am
Dam, My mighty Corolla key was so worn half ot snapped of in the Ign. No problem, I just keep using the other half (o:

tamarillo, Dec 5, 7:10pm
I'm worried about all the inbuilt screens in a few years. As a serial buyer of older flasher cars I fear many will be scrapped when screens fail and replacements cost more than it's worth spending.
Why can they do plug in iPad slots!

mm12345, Dec 5, 8:32pm
Yep - especially when those screens are being used to do more than just control entertainment systems. The Chinese seem to be on to it though - making aftermarket knock-off replacement panels and selling them at low prices. That solves the issue of the panel itself crapping out - at least for common models. More of an issue perhaps are the electronics behind it.

gazzat22, Dec 5, 9:15pm
The simple answer is they do because they can,without a remote your car is useless metal(and plastic) An example ,as suggested by Kazbanz when the remote on my runaround was knackered it was cheaper by far to have a basic alarm installed than buy a new remote,if i could find one?god knows what it will cost when these "keyless" push button systems crap out?

socram, Jul 26, 2:21am
I see a future business with some enterprising tech savvy dudes, de-speccing today's cars! Then the gummint will stamp on it and make it illegal or impossible, so that they get the GST on a new vehicle.

Not much point in having body-shell corrosion protection that last for 50 years when the cars' electronics/micro chips/screens crap out!