Car keys washed

don1751, Jul 10, 3:50am
Put key to my 2008 mazda 6 thru the easher today. Came out nice and clean but remote door locking no longer works. Luckily. Can still operate car uusing manual lock and car starts ok.
Any suggestions. To fix key?

pandai, Jul 10, 3:52am
Go to the dealer and ask how much it will cost to replace the transmitter in the key.

skin1235, Jul 10, 3:55am
may get way with opening it and changing the battery - but this may involve reprogramming it to your car too

tmenz, Jul 10, 4:06am
Wash the car as well, then they'll match.

intrade, Jul 10, 4:07am
open the key soonest and clean the circuits and remove the battery and then fit a new remote battery, it will have shorted the battery out in the wash for sure. the immo chip usually works without battery power.

gmphil, Jul 10, 4:32am
pain in arse but I would stick in hot water cupboard couple days make sure dry
WATER IN POWER ARNT GOOD FRIENDS !

pandai, Jul 10, 5:01am
Pull the key to bits and give it a clean with some isopropyl alcohol or electrical contact cleaner. Let it dry, replace the battery and see if it works.

Trying to use electronics when they are wet is often what kills them. When things like this get wet, it's often best to remove the battery straight away, and don't use them.

With liquid damage, things often do come back to life. However - not sure about car keys here - but with more complicated electronics, the liquid damage actually kills them a few months down the line when the corrosion sets in.

m16d, Jul 10, 5:01am
Dropping them in salt water stuffs them too.
Don't ask how I know this.

skull, Jul 10, 6:08am
We NEED to know some of come here for a laugh, this is your big opportunity

bigfatmat1, Jul 10, 6:24am
I would avoid contact cleaner. it leaves residue on circuit boards that is conductive and can damage. ic's

ignition328, Jul 10, 11:24am
Yeah but you just put it through the wash to get rid of that.

quickbuck, Jul 10, 11:54am
Put my ute keys through the wash the other day. came out very clean. Thankfully in 1994 they didn't have fang dangled electronics in L200 keys.

2sheddies, Jul 10, 7:34pm
When washing your car keys, always remember to seperate the coloured keys from the whites, and don't put them in with the towels or you'll never get the fluff off them. :-P

johotech, Jul 10, 7:43pm
The "residue" is the stuff that you should have cleaned off the circuit board. It didn't come from the CO Contact cleaner.

Having a "residue" just means that you didn't clean it properly and you moved the dust or whatever around, instead of cleaning it off.

Contact cleaner doesn't have anything that can create a "residue", in the can.

mrcat1, Jul 10, 8:48pm
And getting a bit of fluff in your car is bad how?

ntalke, Jul 10, 9:32pm
Over a year ago a remote from a dealer for a Mazda 6 was over $600

tigger8, Jul 10, 9:46pm
try in a mall if you have a "Mister Minit " they may have a replacement key and remote, in CHCH they were cheaper for a Commodre key n remote and programed new 1 to car

lugee, Jul 10, 10:20pm
Since it was in soap water, you want to pull it apart, remove the battery, and thoroughly wash it in DISTILLED water to remove all contaminants. Then you want to bowl of rice + hot water cupboard for a few days. Put in new battery and give it a burl.

don1751, Feb 23, 5:02pm
My son in law who is a pastor pulled it apart, reasembled. It and now it works. Praise the lord (or the power of the hairdryer)!