EL, AU Falcons - what issues to look for?

richardmayes, Jul 1, 10:06am
I couldn't care less about the ford/holden BS, I just want a big car that provides a huge luggage area and plenty of steel around my kids.

whqqsh, Jul 1, 10:21am
Ive had a few Commodore station wagons which we'd load up while towing a pop-top camper. Id have a method of stacking the gear in the back but still had to stack carefully so as not to block the rear view mirror. We got an AU wagon & first time we went away I was looking around for what we'd missed out as the luggage etc only just came up to the height of the back of the back seats. That little bit of width & length sure does make a difference. Ive now gone back a few years to an EL but a V8 under the bonnet, can still slide full sheets of ply & gib in with the back seats folded down, no way could do that in the commodores

ruaphu, Jul 2, 12:30am
Check out this site, good forum, served us well with our 300thou Km AU 11 Fairmont. http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/forum/
Issues to look for with AU models, leaking in boot and ac screen partial failure, both common issues. Make sure there is some proof of servicing, especially the gearbox as these are a sealed unit (no dip stick) approx $400 for a proper service.
Other niggly issues: thermostat failure (we had it twice), causes motor to run rich and gallop through fuel. Ignition lead failure as they get cooked in the sleeve holding them. Regularly silicon spray the window rubbers or the windows bind, run really slow and can cause electrical issues (burnt out switches or motors). When ya change or disconnect battery ya must do the start up process to ensure things run right with A/C, eng, gearbox as all linked in ECU, easily done.
If ya get a fairmont, get more air to the filter box as they are somewhat restricted, derestricting will improve throttle response and fuel economy (Marginally).
All in all a darn good car that was bullet proof car, went anywhere, towed anything, lugged everything and never stopped.

dinosaw88, Jul 2, 2:04am
I have an EL Xr6. I drive Christchurch to Nelson and back regularly. Fixed the rust underneath by the sills, head gasket had been done just before I bought it. It's been absolutely brilliant, and a good looking wee beasty too I reckon. 320000ks, 20 by me.
Bought a VR once, it broke down on the way home from buying it, in Springs Junction. Only a fuel pump but wasn't repairable at side of the road. Falcon would be.

desmodave, Jul 2, 3:04am
When ya change or disconnect battery ya must do the start up process to ensure things run right with A/C, eng, gearbox as all linked in ECU, easily done.
Can you tell me what that process involves ? . I pinched that battery out of my au1 fairmont a couple of weeks back & on replacement the remote no longer works so changed the remote battery and tried the relearn process but the door locks never did a cycle .

hfc2, Jul 2, 7:32am
I have an 03 ba, been great car, except air bag light illuminates etc. great motor , handles well no issues.

mardyyy, Apr 1, 5:19pm
Can't do the Chevrolet badge like the others do.