Why do Falcons depreciate so much?

Page 1 / 8
monaro17, Jul 12, 10:22pm
On average you have to pay around $3000 more to get a similar km similar specification commodore. I was looking at updating my VE commodore for a newer FG XR6 or G6E for more power for towing but they just loose to much value.why do falcons depreciate more than commodores!

twink19, Jul 12, 10:29pm
in my experiance it has always been the other way

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 10:50pm
been trying to figure that one out my self.
I'm guessing the coons just arent' quite as popular.

monaro17, Jul 12, 10:58pm
It could well be that.
Every test review you read says that falcon has the mechanical advantage but for some reason Commodore consistently out sells Falcon

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 11:09pm
i own a fairmont. So obviouslyam a fan of them.I do like holdens but prefer Ford
The one thing I hate about the holdens is the v6 engines.
I always seem to get unlucky and strike one that has head / overheating issues.But then I can only afford the older 90's cars anyway.
so yeah, I agree Ford more reliable and cheaper to buy.
Just makes sense to buy Ford.

jason18, Jul 12, 11:17pm
Because holden owners arent smart enough to realise holdens are over priced ;)

floscey, Jul 12, 11:22pm
some people still wear HRT jackets , go figure.

smac, Jul 12, 11:40pm
But also means you buy cheaper. Unless you're re-selling often, this can work in your favour.

skyblue17, Jul 12, 11:52pm
Maybe the rust factor! Most peeps heard about boot rust etc

xpfairmont, Jul 13, 12:16am
Once over 30 years old. It's most definitely the other way around.

But more people seem to like new Holden's than new Fords. Can't tell you why that is, comes down to personal taste.

bubbles244, Jul 13, 12:47am
you hear the news today, ford hasnt got a car in the top of the 5 star ancap rating this year.and that mazda posing as a ford ranger doesn't count.

both the commodore and the colorado got top of the class.

there's a start.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 13, 12:52am
I don't know. But I know it's good for me, the used buyer.

bubbles244, Jul 13, 12:53am
then there's the engine choices, the fords are hungry. no doubt about it it, compared to the technology overhaul at gm the last couple of years you have big commodores with a better fuel cosumption per km then a jap 4 cylinder, which supposedly was the pinnacle of engine tuning and emissions controls.

all the engines holden now uses are all new designs, the ford is using a truck block from the 40's for its v8 and a 6 block from a modified 60's chrysler design.

yep, the writing is on the wall for ford

mopsy3, Jul 13, 12:55am
OP. Grange are known for their realistic prices. Moyes are known for their OTT prices. Hence your price difference when comparing the two you show.

richardmayes, Jul 13, 1:39am
I think there are deeply ingrained cultural prejudices against Falcons.

in 2006 I had cause to drive a brand new V6 commodore rental car and a brand new Falcon rental car a few months apart. I really liked the Falcon and really didn't like the Commodore.

I mentioned this the next time I visited my parents, and it was like I was coming out of the closet gay or something. Having something positive to say about a lowly Coon was just incomprehensible to them.

(And we're definitely not a household of Holden fanatics or anything like that. apparently my dad owned an EH stationwagon once but he got rid of it as soon as he bought his Triumph 2000. )

smac, Jul 13, 1:51am
Got a link! Seems to be half a story given Falcon, Mondeo and Focus are all 5 star.

floscey, Jul 13, 2:03am
you havent driven a captiva then .Thirsty pos.

xpfairmont, Jul 13, 2:06am
he's already proved that he know very little about cars

mopsy3, Jul 13, 2:58am
You might want to have a look at the website. Holden have 10 models that are 5 star and Ford have 15.
http://rightcar.govt.nz/find.html!srt=d&dir=q=15|2635||1|11||2|1488||3|4013||

Look up Ford, click on car and find Falcon. See how you get on.

xpfairmont, Jul 13, 3:23am
don't burst his bubble now

morrisman1, Jul 13, 11:21am
Jap 4 cylinder from 1990 maybe.

chris_051, Jul 13, 5:31pm
Are you serious or taking the piss! A Chrysler engine as a base for the Falcon!!
The Falcon returns better real world fuel economy than the supposedly more efficient Commodore.
The 5.4 in the Falcons first came out in the mid 1990s in 4.6 and 5.4 and is used in every thing from a Lincoln to an F250 pick up. It is a completely different engine from anything else before. Even a motoring journalist would know more than you.

wasser61, Jul 13, 8:29pm

kazbanz, Jul 13, 8:53pm
IMO its much simpler than that. Coons have been sold into lease fleets for many years and have a fairly bigmarket share. So every three years you get a dump of mid spec coons with moderate K's Coupled to the slash and burn aproach when getting rid of the last of an old model when the latest comes on the scene.

snoopy221, Jul 13, 9:24pm
Point taken-however Beyond Any Doubt they reflectivley are a cheap tow wagon and somehow they don't seem to be like some older toyotas-surfs espescialy which went down in price and then back up again.
Also they aren't in the same league as cavaliers.

good value for money-as to why!
Tis a good question.