Car sitting eighteen months

howie69, Nov 5, 10:02am
Hi guys my Mustang has been sitting back home in NZ for the past eighteen months in a dry shed. Cork gasket in auto trans has leaked, and the motor has been sitting. If I top up with fresh gas I reckon it should go, top trans up think the brakes should be okay but will check anyway and do oil change when its warmed. Other than the obvious tyre pressures anything else I should look at. Battery will be charged before I crank it over

skin1235, Nov 5, 10:25am
18 months in a dry shed, was it on blocks with the tyres deflated?

fill the trans, check engine oil and all fluids, run till warm change oil and filters, new fuel filters
check air cleaner, maybe even replace that as a matter of course

the dry shed bit rings alarms, if it was sitting on its tyres and they were fully inflated the dry bit has me thinking its is known to be hot, check thoroughly for any sign of perishing on the tyres, may also pay to check engine belts for the same, dry and hot are not the best storage for rubber
other than that you've got most of it covered
what year is it

solarboy, Nov 5, 10:51am
Gee, I would've put myself out to take it out for a quiet run every so often if I'd known it was sitting around like that. I'd suspect the battery has died in 18 months unless it's had some regular top-up charge .

phillip.weston, Nov 6, 2:24am
I had my VR-4 sitting in storage for two years while I was living in the UK. It was occasionally started by family members but rarely moved during that time. All seemed ok when I returned - no leaks just a dead battery. Needed to clear two years worth of cobwebs out of the interior and engine bay but other than that I had no issues. The tyres were 10 years old already when it went into storage but they are still fine with no cracking or flat spots. Had to pump them back up to 36ish psi as they had dropped to around 24psi in that time. Drove 2000kms after without a hitch. Back in storage now for who knows how long this time.

phillip.weston, Nov 6, 2:26am
Oh I changed the engine oil and filter as they were due to be done even before I left for the UK - but still had probably only done 2000kms since last changed. Oil definitely didn't look good coming out though.

elect70, Nov 6, 3:07am
Squirt a bit of deisel down the bores let it sit for couple days then wind it over , drain oil& new filer & fresh oil . Tyres should be ok so long as they were inflated I did athis on V8 range rover, took rocker covers off too & dosed rockers with deisel It been sitting outside for 7 years. OK tyres passed inspection for compliance too .

tgray, Nov 6, 3:14am
Are we talking a 1960's Mustang or something 50 years newer?

lookoutas, Nov 6, 5:43am
If it's an older one, you'd better check the brakes pretty good

morrisjvan, Nov 6, 7:52am
it's only been 18 months , not 18 years !

howie69, Nov 7, 9:51pm
Shes an old mustang but everything was rebuilt, hate to add up what I spent but its a boys toy and I didnt care at the time. Motor is. Still a bit tight probably only done 5k, though one trip from Alexandra to Picton was a good run. Was couple of years back Dunedin was cut off, flooding in Chch, and the Lindas Pass was almost closed with snow when I got through. The central run is fun and there were no cops out. Fastest that car ever went, sat the road like a dream. Mmm might have to repeat it.
Seriously anyone wanting a good road trip the run through central is great. I have done it on a bike too and its a good ride.

howie69, Nov 15, 8:26am
Damn thats good of you to offer, my nephew looks after the Harley for me and does something similar if I keep up the insurance and rego. Im his favourite Uncle. I even bring him Gentleman Jack in appreciation.