Hire or buy car?

middlemum, Dec 14, 9:53pm
Need a car for 4 weeks. To hire is $2800. No stress but expensive. Wondering if should buy cheap car. Then have to try and get rid of it and could have issues. Oh the decisions! Need it in ch ch all of January.

andy61, Dec 14, 9:57pm
Have you tried the likes of Omega Car Rentals, I dont know what type of car you want, but we hired a Nissan Tiida for 8 days, something like $240 including insurance ,unlimited kms.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 10:47pm
I'd make more enquiries as to the price for a long term rental and yep try a cheaper rental crowd.
also keep in mind that shipping your own car Auckland to Christchurch is only about $1600 both ways

pge, Dec 14, 10:47pm
Snap Rentals are good.

I used them back in March for 6 days.

Around $30/day includes full, no excess insurance.

monaro17, Dec 14, 11:20pm
I just did a very brief search and found many cheaper rentals from 1 January until 31 January. In this quick 2 min search I found plenty between $800 and $1600.

phillip.weston, Dec 15, 2:23am
If you need the latest model and perhaps a large vehicle then hiring may be the go, however if you can live with something older I would just spend the money on purchasing a car and then sell it when it's time to go.

elect70, Dec 15, 2:38am
Iused Apex a Tilda @ $35 day & $15 insurance full cover in Queenstown last month . Buying cheap used car is risk of it breaking down esp during holiday season & getting it fixed & the time involved getting rid of it afterwards .

tamarillo, Dec 15, 4:34am
Is January a slow time for dealers?
If it is, a dealer might be happy to do a buy back deal on a car. If it's not a good selling time might work.

geedubu, Dec 15, 6:49am
Jucy rentals are pretty good & also are flexible, give them a go.

middlemum, Dec 15, 7:07am
WOW! Thanks. Should have mentioned 6 of us so need 7 seater. If anyone does find one cheap and avail please let me know. A lot of places have none avail. If we got a tiny car could have got a lot cheaper, yes. Cheers.

elect70, Dec 16, 3:00am
Try & buy "cheap " 7 seater ? . rentals for them are about double small hatches & most popular in our hi season . hence cost

mack77, Dec 20, 8:02am
Maybe just buy a cheap old Honda Odyssey or similar for $2k-$3k and sell it on TradeMe for whatever you can get i.e. $1 reserve.

matarautrader, May 23, 5:29pm
We hired an Estina from Scotties Rent a Car in March. $47 day for 8 days. Thats $1410. For longer you could probably beat that.